Proud turkey momma OR Narragansett Ducks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Baybrio, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Well my Narragansett hen finally hatched the eggs she has been sitting on at night. Yes, that's right, she only sits at night, and yet yesterday she hatched three little Dutch Hookbill ducklings!

Here they are in all their cuteness:

[​IMG]

I really did not think they would hatch, so when I went to put the geese away last night I was very surprised to see the hen fluffing up to protect her nest. I thought maybe she had hurt herself, so I took a look. All three eggs I had left in her nest had hatched. We shall see how a first time turkey hen raises ducklings!

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    LOL....... mine hatched 3 indian runner ducks. My daughter found them in the yard. Guess they couldn't make it into the hens nesting area. They are living in my bathtub right now. I never thought she would hatch these either.

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    make sure you have a camera with you the first time they go swimming, momma will probably have a fit. [​IMG]

4. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lmao that is too cute, they must look more like their dad though, is he a REALLY big duck? jk jk lol

That is really cool that they still hatched even though she was only sitting at night, they are super cute, keep us updated.

5. Baybrio

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Turkey momma decided duck parenthood was not for her. She left the ducklings behind and never looked back. [​IMG] So the ducklings will be spoiled by people instead. [​IMG]

Still, for the day they were together it was very cute.

6. Jay-Mar28

Jay-Mar28 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    i have the opposite. i have a rouen hen sitting on 9 turkey eggs

7. Baybrio

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I hope you post pics when they hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by