Providing crushed ice as water when temperatures really cold

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Jan 31, 2013.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have noticed many threads concerning extremes folks go through to ensure birds have more or less continous access to liquid water when it is very cold out. I was wondering if anyone tried usind crushed ice? My birds can easily meet water needs by consuming snow but have considerable difficulty when trying to chip with bill frozen water in bowl. They can meet needs for good health by drinking for only an hour or even less in morning but such limited access can reduce egg production. The crushed ice might be more effective than only access to liquid water for short period.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The dangers of eating snow rather than drinking water for humans would likely be the same for chickens. The chickens might well not recognize crushed ice as a substitute for water and become dehydrated.

I would provide water for them and be done with it.

Chris

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    They do recognize it as water just like they recognize a block of ice or snow. The crushed ice is simply easier to consume may be more practical to apply than liquid water when temperatures are really low.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Interesting thought. I have seen my chickens eat ice and they seem to enjoy it as a novelty "food". I'd want to know what affect it would have on their body temperature to consume ice chips as the sole water source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by