Providing water for ducklings raised by broody

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lomine, Jun 26, 2019.

1. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I currently have 4 duck hens on nests and one more showing the signs. I'm not counting my ducklings before they hatch, but I'm hoping each hatches at least a couple. :fl I've had broody chicken hens with chicks but I'd love to have some broody ducks toddling around with babies. :love

Anyway, to the point of my thread... I'm hoping those with experience would share their system of providing water to ducklings. I like using milk jugs for ducklings but I'm worried about all the other adult ducks emptying the jugs too fast. Thinking maybe a pass through fence to keep the big ones out but would love to hear/see other's methods that are tried and true.

For clarification, I don't plan on separating them from the flock. First off, I don't have the space to separate that many. Also, I have been brooding incubator hatched ducklings in the coop and all the adult ducks have been great with them. My drakes have just ignored. But if that changes I'll separate just the drakes from everyone else.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How are you presently watering the ducklings that are already in your flock ? The same method should work for the broody raised ducklings.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. lomine

lomine Crowing

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    There is a section of the coop that is partially separated from the rest. The ducklings water is in that part. The adults can go in that part but I've never seen them go in there. They mostly spend all day outside. I'm worried the moms won't take the ducklings in there and the ducklings won't stray that far from mom.

pamelajean likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I keep all my Ducklings and Momma separate from the flock and use chicken water fonts till the Ducklings are a bit bigger and then use livestock bowls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: