1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

pruduction red

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ericmcginn5, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    I am going to get 5 chicks today and they have production red and barred rock was is this production red? will they be tame if I hold them a lot as chicks? are production red just sex link chickens?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Production reds are not sex links - though that is a common misconception about them. Production reds are a mixed red (ie RIR and NH) produced by using red breeds known for good production, etc - the result is the same - an "egg machine" pullet, but the chicks are not sex linked.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    ok will it be friendly if handled as a chick

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Socializing the chick will increase the chances of having a friendly chicken, yes - but there is no guarantee, which is true of any breed, hybrid, bird. Generally speaking, they aren't known as particularly "pocket chickens" meaning being ridiculously "let me love you", but they aren't known as being terrors either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: