Psycho hens eating newspaper -

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericka, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ericka

ericka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    Just as I'd been suspecting for a few days now; I caught 2 of my hens feasting on newspaper. [​IMG] They were ripping it apart and gobbling it down - quite a bit of it. I have since removed all newspaper from the coop but I'm concerned that they have been consuming ridiculous amounts of it for the last several days. Should I be worried?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You might want to check each morning for a few mornings in a row to make sure their crops are emptying properly (if it really worries you) but I strongly suspect they'll be just fine.

My hens ate a box that was essentially a large styrofoam cooler with 2" thick walls, pretty much in a matter of days. They're fine.

Edited for spelling. crips? What the heck is a crips? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Eating of non food items in other species can be a sign of boredom. If you think that your set-up might be confining or boring to your chickens, there are things that you can do: among them are scattering grain in their bedding so that they scratch for it, hanging bird seed blocks or cabbage for them to peck at. To a lesser deegree such behavior may be linked to an inadequate diet; however, if you are feeding a commercial diet, I doubt that is the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by