Psychotic Chicks. Tell me about temperment...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhetoric, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rhetoric

rhetoric Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Western New York
    I gave 23 of our eggs to a friend and schoolteacher who hatched 20 of them! They are purebred RIRs and RIR mutts w/ either brahma, black star, or ? They are all, of course, simply lovely, except for the fact that they are the most uptight, angry, active, boisterous, roostery acting chicks on the planet. They are only 3 weeks, so I have no idea if they are roosters but they sure act like it. Any chance that the gender ratio is not 50/50 w/ chickens and these are acting spazzy because so many are male? Or maybe they are just possessed.

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    It's most likely 50/50 but you know they're always exceptions to the rule (like families that have 10 children - all girls.) Perhaps some soothing music? [​IMG]

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I have had 75% of chicks be roosters before.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My RIR didn't - and still doesn't - like being handled, even as a chick. It could be a breed thing more than a gender issue.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My RIR's don't necessarily like to be handled but will let me pick them up.

6. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    All debbies will fight each other for pecking order ranks ecsspecilly when their young male and female. I have hatched hundreds of rir's and they all fight.

7. hlyndes

hlyndes Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    H-Town Texas
    I had had both happen - a boisterous breed and also the unfortunate luck of a group of boys a different time. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by