Psyco Rooster.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amynbrent, Apr 18, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I picked up a pair of Fleur D'somethings....I forgot the name, from my friend yesterday. They are husband and wife as my son says. They just turned one. Lilley is so friendly she sits on our lap for hours like a cat and likes to be petted. Tiger on the other hand is pysco. My friend said he is very friendly and I'm sure in time he will once he knows us. He will not let me open the cage, he pushes out his chest and body slams it. As I put my fingers on the latch he pecks me. I finally get it open and he charges me. I slowly reach in and talk nicely to him and he pecks the s*** out of me. I cant reach Lilley and you can tell she wants to come to me but Tiger wont let her, he pushes her back. Should I give them a few days to adjust? These were my friends pets so I want to keep in routine with holding them, feeding them and play time. HELP!!!!

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yes, give them a few days to get to know you.

Tiger is protecting his girl from the "strangers" who want to handle her. Talk nicely to him and give him attention also - pick him up and hold him.

Mille Fleur D'Uccles? They are sweet, adorable and loving birds.

3. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Yes that is what they are![​IMG] The are both beautiful. This is my first experience with chickens. We have 34 chicks...I thought I would take these too since they were small. I am just worried that if this behavior continues long that she will change.

4. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    What an awesomely protective roo you have!

5. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Glad he's protective of her but not happy he takes it out on me! I wont give up but I dont want to be afraid of him, I cant even open the cage to feed them so I have to drop it in and let them peck the ground.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I suppose he associates new people with the upheaval in his life. In addition to giving him some time, you could talk to the previous owners and find out what works with him and if their are any treats he likes. I have trained roosters to let me pet them using treats. If his behavior doesn't calm down soon you might need to show him you are dominant. Some suggest pushing his neck down by the back of the neck like a dominant rooster would, and hold him in that position until he submits (relaxes his body)

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:It is very, very important that you NOT be afraid - the birds KNOW it if you are. They - birds - read body language very quickly and easily.

If he was new to me, here is what I would do. Approach the cage and talk to them - do not be in a rush and honestly admire them. Tell him he is handsome and you are so glad he loves his girl and is protective. Talk to them and watch - you will see a change in his body language - it might take 10 minutes or it might take 30 minutes. Once he has calmed down, open the door - do not do anything more, just open the door. If he moves to come out, you can block him. Go back to talking to them. Once he has calmed again - put some treats into the cage and shut the door. I would do this a couple/four/ten times a day - depending upon how much time I had - but generally anytime I went by the cage.

It should not take long, couple days and he should begin relaxing around you. Then start taking them out of the cage and holding them.

Give them time - it could be a day or it could take a month, but it will be worth it!

8. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Give it a couple days. However, if you are not comfortable and are afraid of him, get rid of him. You did not mention how old your son is,
    but an aggressive roo can be dangerous. I would be worried about your son getting hurt.

9. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    We have four kids...lol....14, 9, 6 and 3! I'm only afraid because I've never had experience with any chickens before. I just took these two because I liked them and they were my friends. I have been talking to him all day today and I do notice a difference in him!

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I was also going to say he is protecting his girl. You are new and he doesn't know you from the hawk in the tree, if ya understand what I mean. He doesn't know if you're gonna eat him or be nice. Also, how big is the pen they are in? Maybe he could feel too confined, and trapped when you go for the door, which would add to his crazy behavior. As another poster stated, keep talking to him and allow him time to trust you. If your friend had them as pets, I'm sure this behavior won't continue once he gets to undrstand that you mean him and his girl no harm. Good luck, and where are the pics of your new pair??!!! Here on BYC we require pics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by