PTSD (dog attack) and egg laying.

cscigu

Chirping
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I'm sure this topic makes the rounds every few months, but I'm just curious to hear other's experience. About 2 weeks ago on a cold, rainy, stormy afternoon I had two huge Great Pyrennes dogs show up that killed 3 hens and a duck. I tried scaring them with a 12 gauge, and they didn't budge. Threw firewood at them, and they just laid there like I was hurting their feelings. Still, they were beautiful dogs, and likely 150 pounds each, so I just couldn't shoot them. Finally ran them off with a tractor.

So, since then, no eggs. I've got about 12-14 pullets that weren't yet laying, but had about 3 hens and a duck that were laying well. One of the dead was my best Black Copper Maran. Exasperating. We actually had to buy eggs for the first time in years. I can't wait till these pullets get laying, should be next month, unless the winter slows them.

Anyone have timelines on how long these stresses can hang around?

Hold the phone. I just now got an egg. First cackle I've heard in a while. Once hen only.

For about a week, something was getting my chickens and duck one by one. First it go a duck and then it got two of my chickens. I finally figured out that it was a bobcat and we put a stop to it. Anyway, to answer your question, they will start laying again and mine did within the next week. I'm sorry about your hens!

Mine must be suffering severe PTSD. she has only laid one egg in the almost two months I've had her. The others didn't accept her and a fox got all her sisters. Will she ever lay an egg?

How old is she? She may just not be laying well yet. Also, she may just not be a good layer. If it is PTSD it'll go away eventually but I'm not sure when.

She was laying regularly when I got her. The other two never accepted her. She was a loner and they would chase her. Now she's in her own own in view of them. Also she's been sick so it is a combination of things.

Back
Top Bottom