PTSD with Roosters and now my favorite "girl" is one!!

cmullet

Chirping
15 Years
Nov 11, 2008
had a horrible experience years ago with a mean rooster. Put me and my husband in the emergency room on 2 separate occasions. got rid of him. had no chickens for 2 years and just started up again. I have one sweet girl who has a neurological issue and cant walk very well (Brownie is her name), I have 6 other mixed young "girls" and I had a silkie frizzle that was mean from the get go who turned out to be a rooster. Breeder took him back, now my favorite "big girl" who is about 5 1/2 months old started cocka doodling this morning when I went to unlock the coop!!! She is one of my favorites, she lets me pet her and from birth always followed me around and was super nosey! now I am worried. I had/have such a fear of roosters but I think I would try to keep him if he stays nice. are there nice roosters out there????? am I dreaming and he will turn mean???? he isn't even the dominate one out of the girls, he seems to let them do what they want and they push him out of the way. LOL I am so trying to not panic when I am in the pen with everyone, because I do like to hang out with them. I am keeping the Brownie separate from everyone in the same pen, she cant get away so quickly if someone wants to bully her. Should I take a chance on "Big Boy"?? or send him back to the breeder.??

had a horrible experience years ago with a mean rooster. Put me and my husband in the emergency room on 2 separate occasions. got rid of him. had no chickens for 2 years and just started up again. I have one sweet girl who has a neurological issue and cant walk very well (Brownie is her name), I have 6 other mixed young "girls" and I had a silkie frizzle that was mean from the get go who turned out to be a rooster. Breeder took him back, now my favorite "big girl" who is about 5 1/2 months old started cocka doodling this morning when I went to unlock the coop!!! She is one of my favorites, she lets me pet her and from birth always followed me around and was super nosey! now I am worried. I had/have such a fear of roosters but I think I would try to keep him if he stays nice. are there nice roosters out there????? am I dreaming and he will turn mean???? he isn't even the dominate one out of the girls, he seems to let them do what they want and they push him out of the way. LOL I am so trying to not panic when I am in the pen with everyone, because I do like to hang out with them. I am keeping the Brownie separate from everyone in the same pen, she cant get away so quickly if someone wants to bully her. Should I take a chance on "Big Boy"?? or send him back to the breeder.??
There are nice roos out there- it sounds like your s/he is going to be one. :)
A couple of tips, don't start to 'fear' him b/c of past experience, a change in your attitude can be picked up by him. Continue to treat him as you always do.
If he starts to show some aggression, don't panic. Picking him up and fussing him like before may straighten him out.
It is likely that at some point he will become dominant with the girls - try not to interfere unless he is being mean to them.
It sounds like you are off to a good start with this one :thumbsup

If I were you I'd give him a chance a fair chance. He sounds like a sweetheart and if by now no signs of aggression? I'd give him a chance and see how he does. If he misbehaves down the line, you can always rehome him. If he doesn't, keep him. Best of luck!

There are nice roosters out there. They often say the sweetest babies are the boys. Don’t worry until there’s something to worry about. If he’s going to get mean it will be gradual. Get rid of him then.

What are your goals with chickens? Why would you want a rooster? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Nothing wrong with personal preference, that can be a strong desire. But be honest with yourself, why would you want to keep him?

I recommend you keep as few roosters as you can and meet your goals. That's not because you are guaranteed problems with more roosters, just that problems are more likely. For many people the correct number is zero. Keeping chickens should be a pleasure. Fear is not a pleasant emotion.

He is an adolescent. As he goes through puberty his behaviors toward the pullets will change. At some point he will mature enough to become flock master, which means he will be mating them, finding food for them, and keeping peace in his flock if he turns out to be a good flock master. That transition can sometimes be violent, sometimes it is very peaceful. He could wind up being a brute, but most don't, though adolescence can be rough. The personality of your pullets have something to say about his interaction with the flock too. If you don't have a rooster, the dominant hen often takes on some of these responsibilities.

As he matures he may turn human aggressive. He may never turn human aggressive. With living animal no one can give you any guarantees one way or the other.

It is totally your decision, no one else can make it for you. I cannot always predict how one will turn out even when I'm looking at them every day. They can change when going through the maturing process.

Good luck, however you decide.

It's your decision, there are a lot of great roosters, especially when they are hand raised. Was your favorite so maybe he will help you get over your fear of them. My rule of thumb is if they are just plain mean they get sent to freezer camp that simple. and the babies hatched outta my flock everyone has loved the young cockerels cause they learned who is boss and main roo is super people friendly. when hormones kick in might take a bit of reinforcement on who is the actual boss and discouraging him if he's having bad behaviors sooner better than later. and most small back yard ones that are hands on have a pretty nice temperament with people and kids as long as kids are not allowed to chase the hens. But ultimately it's your choice.

This bird isn't the same as the beast you had before, and may turn out fine.
This time, don't wait until you're injured to eliminate a jerk!!!
See how he develops, keep him respectful of your space, if you haven't been doing that, and be calm out there.
Some cockerels will be human aggressive, because that's just who they are, and such a bird needs to be gone, preferably into someone's crock pot. Trying to 'reform' such a bird isn't worth the worry and stress he causes, and the injuries.
Mary

I have had so any good roosters. Some have lived up to 9 years and I still think of them. From my many years of raising chickens I have found more good roosters than bad ones! I can't imagine NOT having several roosters protecting my girls.
When they start feeling their hormones at 4 to 6 months old some of them may cause trouble. But most of them don't. Give yours a chance to prove himself worthy of keeping. ;)

Back
Top Bottom