Ptsd

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Sep 9, 2010.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    I apparently live in preditor central. I have lost one 3 month old to a hawk that came trough the netting 'roof' of their pen. I now have chicken wire, hardware cloth and tarps.
    In the last 5 days I have killed a copperhead, it's head was 6 inches from the gate, AND had two suspicious lumps, had to chase an owl off of the roof, it could not get in, but it was sure trying, ran a blacksnake out from under the coop, and yesterday had a serious hawk scare. They were free roaming, I was planning my winter garden, standing in the yard, I heard screeching and flapping, and one of my girls came barrelling across the yard, practically threw herself at me. As I looked up I saw a hawk in our side yard taking off from the ground. Oh no. Well they had all hidden, and were completly motionless, when I 'saved them'. I put them back in the pen, made sure nobody was injured, and left them to recover. They came out for a bit in the afternoon, but did not go more than 20 ft from the pen, or stayed under the bushes. This morning was the same. I guess they are safer, but I want them to be able to range. Safer is better than sorry, but will they get over this? Maybe if they stay up for a few days.
    Great, now it sounds like I want them to go play in traffic (KIDDING) I want the hawks to go away.
    Oh well, they are all safe, and I guess I will do what it takes to keep them that way, even if I miss seeing them gallumphing around the yard.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I hear you. Sounds like a rough stretch for you and your birds. I've decided to keep my birds locked in for a while and only let them out with supervision. You're right, it's better safe than sorry. At least you know they'll survive inside. Sorry about your lost bird.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    The hawks are migrating now. Spring and Fall.
    Consider keeping them in for a bit, not to get them over it, but to keep them out of harms way.
    Sounds like a very close call.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hawk may be lurking hidden in a tree nearby. Whenever my pigeons stay inside their lofts rather than out in the aviary or refuse to come out and fly there is a hawk in the area. A little hawk education has inspired caution on their part. Not a bad thing!

5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Yep, they are in lock down. They do not even seem to mind. I did go in and hang out with them for a bit, but there were three hawks scouting this morning. Maybe I'll start reading to them...[​IMG]
    The chickens, not the hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by