1. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    My chickens were attacked and killed by dogs a few days ago, two survived. Clara and Mary. A few days later, Clara and Mary were attacked AGAIN!!!! I checked them over and they only had some cuts on their feet. (Thank goodness) but now I think they have PTSD. They just kind of sit down in their cage and stare blankly into space. I'm not sure what to do about that or how to help them. Advice????

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Make sure there is no chance they can get attacked a third time. A good fence around their foraging area helps. Chickens do like freedom, but they also like to be safe.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I am sorry for your loss! Make sure they are warm enough and maybe try offering some scrambled eggs or tuna in water? I hope they recover soon!

4. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    She isn't reacting to my voice or anything.

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Chickens that are used to having others don't do real well by themselves. Do you still have two together? Try a eye dropper with Sugar Water to give them some energy.

6. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    They are in separate crates next to each other.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens like all birds are fragile beings. Flying or slamming themselves against the coops' wire, or roof in a desperate attempt to escape will result in serious internal injuries.

8. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Last year one of my hens was grabbed by the neck by a fox and because I ran outside the fox dropped the hen, and she did not appear to have much injury. All the next day she stayed by her three broody sisters. She didn't want to eat or drink or do anything but be by them. The next morning I found her on the floor of the coop as she had died overnight. She died either of shock or internal injuries. I don't think there was anything I could have done to save her. Hope your girls pull through. Maybe you should put them together to comfort one another.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Update:
    They have been eating and drinking a bit and sleep. When ever I go out there they are sitting down looking at each other or asleep.

10. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    One of the hens has started laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by