1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Public Education

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 1stepcloser, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am getting to the point where I hate public education. I am sick of hoop jumping taking presidence over actual learning. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

((((And the shame of that statement is I am a teacher...the system just plain SUCKS!))))

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I completely agree with you. It is one of the biggest reasons we homeschool.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I can sympathize with you.

When my children were in school, I volunteered then they hired me, to help with recess, lunch, tutoring, etc... I did this because I didn't like the local public schools - but I figured I had to no right to complain unless I was in there trying to see why they sucked, and trying to help make it better.

One thing I noticed was that whenever they'd have an outstanding principal (happened twice at one school) they would move them up to administration. A principal that the kids loved, the parents loved, and who did the job great would be moved out of the school so they could sit in a board room and make policy.

[​IMG] yeah, that makes sense.

Most of the teachers were great, too (you always get one or two with no clue, in any job). Part of the problem there was that their hands were tied by those policies written by people who didn't hang out in the classrooms or school (just sat in board meetings) and made rules and regulations to constrict the teachers control over their own classroom.

yep, I have to agree, Public Education needs an overhaul. If more parents would get into the schools (although, I do understand many of them have to work during the day, and cannot see what actually goes on) then perhaps together with the teachers they could fix it through policy changes, etc...

I do have to say, however, that my children had a better than average public schooling, because I was there and available. If they had a bad teacher, I called her/him on it, if they had a fantastic one, I told them so, also. One of my oldest son's teachers and I stayed friends long after he was out of school (this was his 4th grade teacher). The man worked so hard with my son (and all his students) to engage them and interest them in what was going on in the classroom. Thankfully they never asked him if he wanted an Administration Job [​IMG]

meri

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Go hug a chicken.

5. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    I agree with those of you that think the public fool system has it's faults.It's not the teachers fault,they dont make up the curriculum. I think if you realy want to do something to fix it, you have to appeal to the feds then the state. Constitutional & UN law should be the foundation for education. I dont remember ever being taught my rites in school.... Were U? If you dont know your rites,your deemed a boligerant society. That in turn makes you the public enemy.(which is why the heavy burdon of taxes is implied on you) ...That's why we were asked to educate ourselfs,by our president in 1964. He knew our citizens were & are being dumbed down by the public education system.....

6. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I honestly like my towns public school system. We have very dedicated teachers. If someone has a problem, I feel that the school commitee really tries to sort it out.

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I'm lucky enough to live somewhere with a wonderful public school system. They do exist.

8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I went to teaching in a charter school for that reason. Yes our kids score high on the tests, but that's not all we teach them.

9. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Our school system is great. The teachers regularly send home the current list of "teaching goals" and it is very much skills-based. The elementary kids get informal report cards that are updated every Friday, showing progress against the teaching goals, as well as behaviors. They get formal report cards quarterly.

We are required to sign off on the report card each night that their homework has been completed and checked at home. Even my kindergartener has homework.

10. phoenixmama

phoenixmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Gilbert, Arizona
    A public school can be great if there are involved, caring parents and teachers that actually love and appreciate their JOB...rather than their benefits, vacation time, salary (albeit small), and union protection.

Luckily we live in an area with a fantastic public school system. I personally had a bad experience with public school...an experimental math program that left me completely unable to this day to do math in my head. The only reason why my children will be attending a local charter school is because of their "back to basics" curriculum and concentration on our country's founding principles and patriotism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by