"puckered" eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MistyMountain, Feb 4, 2014.

1. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Every couple days someone lays an egg with a flatish puckered side. Is there something wrong with this hen? Can it be assumed that it is the same hen? I candled them and they do have a yolk, but is seems super low in the pointy end. When I tap on today's egg, it sounds almost hollow. After cracking, they look normal on the inside, mostly yolk, and shells were brittle.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing that egg was passing through the tract at about the same time as an other one, and perhaps they were in contact, resulting in the flat side. Still a tasty egg.

3. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    I cracked an egg this morning and found this large black lump, what is it? The shell had a dark spot on the end and was not smooth, I think the two odd things are somehow connected
    Do I need to worry?
    [​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do a subject search on LASH eggs.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  6. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    No I didnt cut it open. I was firm but a bit soft. I was kinda grossed out. I am hoping it was just a weird thing that never happens again. The end of the egg was real dark and was not normal.

Yuck!

7. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Thank you Happy Chooks! I scrambled them and fed them back to the girls. I will watch for more of them. I have a couple that are at the bottom of the pecking order and get spooked out of the boxes easily. I am thinking of adding a couple more boxes as there seems to be a line at 10am. It could be the sudden longer days as well-- I am opening up the coop earlier now that it is light enough when I put my son on the school bus. Saves me an extra trip.

Denco5, not sure what that is. I am interested to find out, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by