Puddy Tat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CoyoteMagic, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

We have a beautiful black cat in the neighborhood. Neighbors moved out and left him about 2 years ago. He's a great hunter because he isn't skinny like a stray usually is. He's actually pretty hefty.

He will be headed to the pound tomorrow because he has decided that my chickens are easy pickings. I haven't had any problems before but I lost a hen the other day and thought it was a hawk that had been around. However, today I saw him going after them again. He doesn't scare easily. I sent Spook to chase him off only for him to come back a few hours later.

I hate having to catch him and put him down, but I keep telling myself it's better for him to go to sleep than to keep fighting for a meal.

Tell me I'm doing the right thing!!

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    You can`t having him killing and stressing your chickens.If he is that nice looking maybe someone will adopt him if you take hiim to the animal shelter.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. finallychickens

finallychickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Finger Lakes
    No I don't think you are doing the right thing. Sounds like one tough cat who is very capable of getting along by himself, not like he is struggling for a meal. If your chickens are accessible to predators, getting rid of the cat doesn't solve your problem. You could try putting out dry food for the cat [​IMG]

4. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Edited to remove trolling comment

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Do what you have to. All three of our `fixed' indoor cats were rescued from the ditches out along our road as kittens. Three weeks ago we paid $40.00 to the local HS shelter so they would take three black short hairs that were very tame and obviously dumped. I currently have one of our havaharts set by our back deck because someone else dumped a Black Persian kitten that has taken up residence under the house and is pretty feral - don't know if that one will make it to the shelter.

Vermin is as vermin does.

If I had a dollar for every dumped domestic gone feral that I've retired over the past seventeen years at this location I could afford to take more to the shelter.

Don't want the chooks/turks stressed or the Yellow Shafted Northern Flickers and Pileated Woodpeckers eaten.

ed:clarity

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You're doing the right thing. As you can see by my screen name I'm a fan of cats and I do a lot of kitten foster care for the local shelter. Most of the time cats aren't a problem for full grown chickens, but if you have a big semi-feral one running around that has figured out how to hunt your flock you are absolutely right to remove that threat.

If he's people friendly he might have a chance at the shelter this time of year because they won't be completely overun with kittens. If not that is sad, but the blame lies with the neighbors who abandoned him, not you.

Edit because kittens and chickens aren't interchangable words. [​IMG] More coffee!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Your ARE doing the right thing. Trust me.. [​IMG]

8. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    taking him to the pound is more responsible than just dispatching him on the property---as I would do.

So you are doing the right thing definitely.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yeah that.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You're only doing what your neighbors should have done 2 years ago if they didn't want to keep their cat any longer. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by