Pueblo Grande prefab coop

DaisyG2317

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
🌷🌷🌷
Hello!

I am a longtime lurker, first time poster. My husband surprised me with a chicken coop after having expressed my desire for chickens for about 10 years, haha. It is not particularly what I would have chosen; I have done countless amounts of research and looking at all the great designs on here I had many ideas on what we should build. But bless his heart, he was being sweet. The coop in question is the "pueblo grande" coop by Rugged Ranch from our local farm and feed store. I know the shortcomings of prefab coops and have worked to remedy those, however, the size has me somewhat concerned. We have 4 ISA Brown chicks at the moment that are still in their brooder. This coop claims to hold something like 8+ chickens and I know the number these manufactures claim is never accurate. Does the coop itself seem adequate size-wise for 4 ISA's? We have a roughly 10x10 run that we made and attached to the coop. I plan on also letting them free range when I can watch them; we are on an acre in the woods and it is predatorville out there so I don't want them out unattended. Once a bobcat chased my cat in broad daylight in my yard😱

Here is the coop in question, third one down called "pueblo grande":
http://www.ruggedranch.net/wood-chicken-coops.html
Thank you!

Hello!

I am a longtime lurker, first time poster. My husband surprised me with a chicken coop after having expressed my desire for chickens for about 10 years, haha. It is not particularly what I would have chosen; I have done countless amounts of research and looking at all the great designs on here I had many ideas on what we should build. But bless his heart, he was being sweet. The coop in question is the "pueblo grande" coop by Rugged Ranch from our local farm and feed store. I know the shortcomings of prefab coops and have worked to remedy those, however, the size has me somewhat concerned. We have 4 ISA Brown chicks at the moment that are still in their brooder. This coop claims to hold something like 8+ chickens and I know the number these manufactures claim is never accurate. Does the coop itself seem adequate size-wise for 4 ISA's? We have a roughly 10x10 run that we made and attached to the coop. I plan on also letting them free range when I can watch them; we are on an acre in the woods and it is predatorville out there so I don't want them out unattended. Once a bobcat chased my cat in broad daylight in my yard😱

Here is the coop in question, third one down called "pueblo grande":
http://www.ruggedranch.net/wood-chicken-coops.html
Thank you!
The coop part itself does seem a bit small...your run is certainly big enough. On its own, that would NOT hold 8 hens! What are the dimensions of the actual coop part, not including nesting box? Make sure that your run that you build is secure, as you seem to have some predator issues.

That's a nice looking coop. I think 4 chickens would be comfortable in there.
I'd like to respectfully disagree. With the added run space, they should be ok on run, but if there wasn't any added run space they would be extremely cramped. The coop part looks quite small, and I don't think that there will be enough roosting space for the hens when they come to be full size. It would also be difficult to have a feeder or waterer in there, as it would take up too much space. They will be plenty comfortable when they are young, but when they reach full size I think that they will be very pressed for space.

I'd like to respectfully disagree. With the added run space, they should be ok on run, but if there wasn't any added run space they would be extremely cramped. The coop part looks quite small, and I don't think that there will be enough roosting space for the hens when they come to be full size. It would also be difficult to have a feeder or waterer in there, as it would take up too much space. They will be plenty comfortable when they are young, but when they reach full size I think that they will be very pressed for space.

She did say she would be free ranging...

She did say she would be free ranging...
Yes, I know. The OP said that they are putting the coop in a 10x10 run, so they should have plenty of run space anyway. The issue is the coop part. All the run space in the world won't change that all the birds go inside at night, and will be pressed for space in the actual henhouse part of the original coop. Also, a feeder takes up space, and you would want to have it in the coop to avoid rats.

I am putting the feeders outside, tube style. The dimensions of the coop part itself, just where they roost, is about 3 feet by 4 feet. We cut into one of the panels on the "run" that it came with to make a big open space. The run that we built is predator proof x100.

Back
Top Bottom