Puerto Rican Chicken

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2mnypets, May 17, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I don't know the actual name for this meal, because this was a recipe that a fellow military wife gave me when we were both stationed at Ft. Bliss in El Paso Texas. This recipe can either use chicken or fish. This is a favorite of our family.

1 whole fryer cut up (or whatever pieces your family uses... I skin my meat & try to have none or very little fat on them)
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 cup water
    1 can tomato soup (plus the can of water to rinse the can out per label directions)
    1 large white onion
    1 box instant or traditional rice (your choice)
    1 package of Sazon Goya Seasoning (found in the Mexican food isle. It is a Yellow & Orange box roughly 4 3/4" x 3 1/2")
    [​IMG]

Slice onion and separate all rings. Mix all ingredients except for the rice. Cook on medium heat until liquid is reduced by half. Turn temp. down to low or simmer while rice is cooking. When done put chicken, onion and sauce over rice. You can either put it all on one plate or individual plates. Your chicken will have an orange hue to it. I now have to double or triple the recipe for my family of 5 because all 3 of our kids are teenagers and we always have their friends over.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I made this and absolute loved it. Very easy and quick. [​IMG]

I also fell in love with this spice and use it in all kinds of dishes. That's for telling us this one.

Marsha

3. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    I love that Sazon stuff too, but very rarely use it now. Its full of MSG! Its the first ingredient in it. Ever since the docs found a growth on the grain, we cut that stuff out. A strick diet with none of that and it went away [​IMG] I think trying this one out once wont hurt though. It sounds good and easy!

I do love a good puerto Rican meal. Mmmmmmmmmmm I dated a guy from there and he could cook some awsome food. [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing

4. iluvpollo

iluvpollo New Egg

Jul 21, 2013
    im Puerto Rican and the recipe is a traditional arroz con pollo (rice with chicken). it has a bunch of variations depending on which part of the island you are from. You should try it wish tomato sauce like goya's instead of chicken soup and use a lot of garlic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by