puerto rican rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lampshadeee69, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Ive seen these types of roosters eveywhere in puerto rico. Here's a picture. [​IMG] . I was wondering if anyone knew two things:

One: what is the recognized breed name? (Picture a small bantam rooster with red feathers, blue wing bars, and a black tail. White feet and a single comb.)

Two: what would the hens of this variety look like? Ive been trying to cross with just a black hen and ive been curious to know if there was anything else i could cross him with to get a nifty color combination

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I am afraid they are just Mutts...

3. I put a picture of one i got up on my profile. I had one that looked exactly like him before, but he became raccoon food. If he is a mutt, hes the coolest looking mutt ive ever seen [​IMG]

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say a Black Breasted Red Old English Game. (one of the U.K. Types of a Bad U.S type)

Chris

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Black Breasted Red OEG sounds about right...

6. What would he cross well with? I have all types of hens of all shapes and sizes.

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:OEG Hens would be best

8. egggreenthumb

egggreenthumb Out Of The Brooder

The Puerto Rican Game descent from mostly OEG and for the Jerezano Spain Game. For centuries the breeders of PRG ¨castadores¨ work with this combination,
    They breeding ¨castando¨ the most fierce, because Cock figthing is legal and the main purpose of the rooster is fight. They are slender type, with long legs. weight from 3.4 to 4.5 pounds. Actually some breeders used asil, shamos and other oriental games to increase size. Know you will find mutts, mixed. But some goods breeders try to perpetuate
    the original type. Basically the most common color is red black breasted, red brown breasted, birchen ¨giro¨, pinto (same as pinta asturiana) and other colors combinations.
    Depend on the pedigree and winning fight, is the price . Try ¨picos y espuelas.com, to see more about the Puerto Rican Game. Here some pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Looks very similar to my red junglefowl. They had green legs, though. And they are the feral birds in Hawaii, and Miami, or so I'm told..

10. egggreenthumb

egggreenthumb Out Of The Brooder

More pictures:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by