Puff daddy’s foot is a balloon, help!

Hatchingfeathers

In the Brooder
May 10, 2022
Hey all! So went out to feed/water my flock on Christmas and noticed my rooster hanging over the perch (I thought he was dead!) he didn’t jump down for water (strange). I moved him down and noticed he’s limping, not using one foot, instead scratching the air w that foot 🤣 Inspection revealed it’s blown up like a balloon! Thinking it was bumble foot I soaked it in epson salt and warm water for 30 min twice. No black scab is present. Though I did gentle puncture and drain 4/5 pockets of puss between each toe and on the bottom of his leg!
wrapped and he stayed over night in our bathtub.
To summarize:
•swollen foot & leg
•hot to the touch
•won’t stand on it
•tail feathers down and frazzled looking
•eating and drinking and alert
•no black scabs on foot pad
•laying around, not walking like usual
What else could be going on with his foot?! Helllllppppp 🤪 attached are photos!

Attachments

• EB2D71C9-36E4-42F5-A4E0-6E07ECF9C729.jpeg
    EB2D71C9-36E4-42F5-A4E0-6E07ECF9C729.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 795
  • FB681B2A-5A73-4E2E-A2E7-36E756E44873.jpeg
    FB681B2A-5A73-4E2E-A2E7-36E756E44873.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 30
Pus does not "drain" with chickens. Chicken pus is solid like wax. So his swollen foot is from edema, fluids accumulating in his foot tissue.

The question is what is causing fluid buildup in that foot? A respiratory disease can cause it. Has he had any sneezing, coughing or eye or nare drip?

Pus does not "drain" with chickens. Chicken pus is solid like wax. So his swollen foot is from edema, fluids accumulating in his foot tissue.

The question is what is causing fluid buildup in that foot? A respiratory disease can cause it. Has he had any sneezing, coughing or eye or nare drip?
Turns out he has frostbite :( So I'm treating it as recommended.

Get some antiseptic on the foot where the punctures were made. Then leave it alone, no massage, no rubbing. Take pictures of the top and bottom to document the progression of the frostbite damage. Hopefully, he will heal some, but he could lose toes or even the whole foot. It may take days for the damage to become obvious, and it can take a month to 6 weeks for any loss of toes. So sorry. Take a look at your coop. Did he bet a foot wet? Are there direct air drafts inside the coop? There needs to be some overhead ventilation on even the coldest days to remove humid air and breath.

Back
Top Bottom