1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puffed-up chicken - now with video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saraem, Sep 20, 2016.

1. saraem

saraem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    In the past 2 days, I've noticed that my 6 month old Buff Orpington has been puffing out her feathers a lot. Mostly the ones on the back of her neck, but occasionally she'll puff herself up completely and shake, similar to what I call the "offended shake" that they do after my kids pick them up and ruffle their feathers.

She is eating, drinking, laying, and otherwise acting normally. I picked her up and her eyes, nostrils, and feet look normal and I see no sign of injury (I'll check her vent once my son comes home and can help hold her.) Poop also seems normal.

I know a "puffed-up" appearance can indicate cocci, but she seems healthy otherwise...could this be the early stages of it? I do have Corid on hand.

My only other thought it that we recently lost her flock mate, leaving only 2 chickens (eggs are currently incubating to add pullets) and the other one can be a bit of a bully. She hasn't started laying or squatting yet and acts a bit like a rooster...hoping this will settle once she starts to lay. Could it just be that she's being defensive (it reminds me of a cat or dog when they raise their hackles)?

They have a large coop and free range the yard for several hours/day. I feed them fermented Countryside Organics layer feed.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sounds like she might be showing signs of going broody.

3. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    Really?! Interesting, I NEVER thought of that.

Well, that would be a nice development. Eggs should hatch 10/5 and I certainly would love to hand raising them to someone else.

Then again, she's our only laying hen right now!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    This really interesting, I have a almost 5 month Buff doing the same thing. Although now she wants to bite me when I pick her up and makes a long squabble, I.E clucking once put back on the ground. This is disappointing for she was one of my more friendly girls. Has yours shown any temperament changes as well?

5. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    Nope, seems about the same! If anything becomes more clear for you, let me know!

6. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    Does this look like a hen going broody?

[​IMG]

7. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    Nice video! although mine does more the wet dog feather shake. I also notice this action more once I have entered the run and have gotten close to her.

8. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    Mine does that too, I just didn't catch it on the video...and it does seem she does it when I come near. I posted in the behavior forum and the consensus seems to be that she's going broody. Hopefully it's the same with yours (although a pain to break, much better than some illness or disease!)

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Keep in mind, they can act like this for weeks before going fully broody. Or they may not go completely broody at all.

10. saraem

Apr 19, 2016
    Thanks for the heads up! This is our first experience with a broody (clearly)...she laid her egg as normal today and is now back out walking around, so we'll wait and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by