Pullet Puffed up Eyes closed

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
This is 10 month old Lizzy, Satin pullet.
Ignore the wack job of a haircut she just got...but I gotta be able to see what's going on with her.
I noticed her all puffed up this morning when I let em out of the coop. She came out like normal then I noticed her just standing puffed up and not moving around.
She looks to be opening her beak when she takes breaths...
I don’t feel an egg.
I've got her on poultry cell water, mash, oyster shells and grit in the ICU in garage. We've had insane weather with one day 60s and sunny then one day teens and ice everywhere and rain between all that.

She may have a touch of hypothermia. It's one thing I would rule out by giving her some warm sugar water with electrolytes to drink. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, put a quirt into the water.

Then, if she appears to gain strength from the sugar water, offer her a nice warm, freshly soft boiled egg and see what she does.

She may have a touch of hypothermia. It's one thing I would rule out by giving her some warm sugar water with electrolytes to drink. One teaspoon sugar to one cup water. If you have Poultry Nutri-drench, put a quirt into the water.

Then, if she appears to gain strength from the sugar water, offer her a nice warm, freshly soft boiled egg and see what she does.
Ok thank u so much! I'll do that n let ya know.

Just caught a clean catch of poo...very watery...there are few bubbles...is that considered mucusy?

Attachments

• 20230204_101429.jpg
    20230204_101429.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 3
The poop may be an indication that there may be a bacterial infection.

Try the sugar water. It acts quickly to revive a chicken if the issue is hypothermia. If the chicken doesn't improve after several hours after the sugar water, then we move on to examining other possibilities.

In diagnosing a sick chicken, we start with the most simple, the most obvious, the easiest to treat. Then we rule those out, progressing to more complex causes.

This is the BYC method, and it's free. The quicker more accurate method of diagnosing a sick chicken is to take the chicken to an avian vet who can run all sorts of expensive tests and can likely pinpoint the cause and give you a treatment without any trial and error. Do you have an avian vet nearby?

The poop may be an indication that there may be a bacterial infection.

Try the sugar water. It acts quickly to revive a chicken if the issue is hypothermia. If the chicken doesn't improve after several hours after the sugar water, then we move on to examining other possibilities.

In diagnosing a sick chicken, we start with the most simple, the most obvious, the easiest to treat. Then we rule those out, progressing to more complex causes.

This is the BYC method, and it's free. The quicker more accurate method of diagnosing a sick chicken is to take the chicken to an avian vet who can run all sorts of expensive tests and can likely pinpoint the cause and give you a treatment without any trial and error. Do you have an avian vet nearby?
No none of our vets see chickens...so I'm at yalls mercy for help as well as few other chicken friends.
I've got the heat lamp warming it up in garage...it's at 65 now

Be careful you don't create a wide temperature differential. If you plan on returning the chickens to the outside temps, it's best not to create an indoor temp higher than 50F. However, a sick chicken will require warmer temps.

Be careful you don't create a wide temperature differential. If you plan on returning the chickens to the outside temps, it's best not to create an indoor temp higher than 50F. However, a sick chicken will require warmer temps.
Yeah she's not going back out for a while.
I'm gonna have to syringe give her the sugar water cuz she's not drinking now. And has only pooped the one time since this morning. Her tail is up but she's layin down otherwise with eyes closed.
If she's the one that has been doing soft shell eggs could that be related? I thought it was my d'uccles but since she's doing this makes me wonder if it is her. Because the d'uccles went back to laying. And Lizzy was in the nest box to lay yesterday morning but then never laid one and had gotten back out during treats.
I've got her soaking in warm epson salt...this shows what she's doin with her beak breathing.

Last edited:
@azygous

Lizzy is a little better thank God! And yall for all your advice and help!!!
Last night She actually ate some mash with the crushed calcium I got and the tylan50 I was able to get (last bottle in town).

This morning she ate a little bit of scrambled eggs! Sure hoping she continues to improve!!!
And her poo was back to normal! Not watery at all!
Strange hun?
thankfully our weather is supposed to be warmer today...if it hits 60s n sunny I may let her out with others for free time. Then bring her back in.
I'm just unsure what's really going on with her.
All of mine are newer layers since October and November. I'm puzzled by the shell-less eggs and her not layin...but then the d'uccles stopped layin for a month and have just started back so :confused:

She does seem better. Continue with the sugar water and give her at least 600mg of calcium each day for the next few days. You can probably just pop the tablet into her beak.

What we want to see is her standing and alert and eating on her own. Then, when she lays the next egg, it needs to be a good shell. If she can do all that, she's going to be okay.

Back
Top Bottom