Puffed up, falling over, wing hanging...What is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jencleg, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    I went out on Sat am and found our 4-5 month old Ameraucana hen puffed up the size of a basketball , and laying on her side. She would fall over when she walked and her comb was almost non-existent. I separated her and gave her plenty of food & water that she ate & drank. Fast forward till today. She is not puffed anymore but she is skin & bones despite her eating and her right wing is still hanging. I went to take her out of her house & she tried to run & fell face first and just layed there till we picked her back up. She stands ALL the time.

Any ideas? Mereks? What do I do? She was hatched at my cousins house but he is very disease conscious....

2. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Anybody out there?? Is that crickets I hear?? (Chirp chirp) [​IMG]

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

She sounds like she is wormy or has coccidiosis. I would treat her with Corid liquid for coccidiosis and give her some liquid Safeguard for worms. I would mix 1 cc with 1cc of water and give her 1/4 of it since she is so weak, repeat in three days. She is weak, that is why she is falling over... Give her some vitamins in her water, make sure she is drinking. Give some warm scrambled eggs for energy or baby parrot hand feeding formula. Keep her warm as when they are that thin they can't hold body heat.

4. Jencleg

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by