puffed up , loss of lots of feather, green poop, standing by herself

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    . so much reading still dont know what to deo fo her.......One of my adult chickens. buff orps supp to be over 2 yearsold. vent area are hardly any feathers, kinda red. standing around lots puffed up
    they( all in that group )are underweight. they refuse to eat the dang pellets I bought. pellets are rather large, too.all 3 ophs have lost lots of their feather, all thin like ....
    Sprayed their house for bugs with a lemongrass natural spray. but not messed with the chickens themselves. except gave them"Safeguard' dewormer goat dewormer. Also cleaned their scaley legs and put on Vaseline. cause they all have raised scales on their legs...... I also put food grade DE in their coop.
    I gave them all dose of "Safeguard" last week finished third dose. but as read it does not get rid of roundworm.......how big are round worms?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member 10 Years

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You should do Safeguard 5 days in a row. Some worms are more resistant than others.

Lemongrass natural spray is not going to kill lice and mites. The mites can suck the chickens' blood dry. You should powder them with Sevin or Poultry dust to kill the bugs.

DE is not going to save them from bugs or worms.

Vaseline is fine on the legs. Sometimes I put the Vaseline on and bug powder on top of it.

All these things can make your chickens skinny. You can also take the pellets and mash them up. They really do need to eat. You may have to buy some crumbles.

I would put a glove on, oil a finger and feel if this hen has an egg stuck.

I hope you can put together a regular schedule for the bug and worm stuff. It's really important. I know some people want to do everything with natural products. But keeping a flock of chickens is a man made thing and that may require some man made medicines.

For roundworms, you can use Wazine, 1 ounce in a gallon of water, for 24 hours no other water while your treating.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Crowing

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Chickens will often go off feed for a period of time when moulting. Moulting is a stressful time as all the energy stores are taken to produce new feathers. This can weaken immunity. That is why people supplement water/ feed during the moult. Supplement with vitamin-mineral-electrolytes 3x a week and Probios dispersible powder at 1 tsp per gallon 1x a week. You can also take a 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast, mix it in 2-3 lbs of feed, then add 3 tsp of wheat germ oil fortified with A,D, E vitamins 2x a week.

Chickens often like moistened feed, so if you decide to moisten feed, mix up enough they will eat in about 30 minutes a few times a day. Make sure they are away from cold drafts at night when roosting, but still have good ventilation in the coop. You should worm them like Seminole stated if you have not, but Benzamidazole classes of dewormers can cause problems with feather growth. If you see improvement supplementing water/feed, once they get their new feathers in, deworm them. Keep us posted.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. ladyearth

ladyearth Songster

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I give them all acv Braggs in big glass bowl and mixture of probiotics and electrlytes for months now.. plus use" kicking chicken" some too. I allready moistened another of their feed, already. yell trie smashing the pellets;;; what a pain in the butt;;; gt two oter feed plus seperate grains plus sproutung wheat and other sprouts for them gave them fresed baked pumpkin too. no....... I was told on here SAfeguard for THREE DAYS.....
    now this is not my Barr Rock Baby Girl.. she is still not 100 percent
    is there a symptom checker on here????
    thanks yall

5. The best way to cross check symptoms is to go to the Poultry Science Department at a State Land Grant university. Auburn University, the University of Georgia, Cornell University, Oklahoma State University, and I think the University of California at Berkley is another.

A lot of Agricultural University programs now have back yard flock programs or divisions.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. ampho

ampho Chirping

Aug 28, 2013
    Northern NJ
    I know there are many opinions (on everything chicken) here but do you have a set of medications/preventatives schedule that you give your chickens regardless of health? My chickens are healthy other than currently molting, free range at least 4-5 hours a day, but I have never given them anything but medicated feed when they were babies. Whenever I read these posts I worry I should be doing prevention things I am not.

7. ampho

ampho Chirping

Aug 28, 2013
    Northern NJ
    I posted this here because both of you (Semonewind and Michael Apple) seem to know all there is to know about chicken health and I see you both in this posting! Thanks!

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL, that's a very nice thing to say.

Ampho, I think the longer you own chickens, the more you'll know or find out. Their feed should be fine, free ranging is good. Most chickens over 4 months old could use a woming and lice & mite schedule. People vary it from doing that 2-4 times a year.

I also believe in hanging out with the chickens so that one knows what their normal behavior is and what it is not.
    At night sometimes I do a quick hands on check to feel their weight.

Being a member here is probably the best thing you can do!!!!

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I said 5 days because itr sounds like your chickens may be very compromised with worms and/or mites and lice. Lemongrass spray may not work with a big problem. Sevin dust or Poultry dust will work. You feeding program sounds good tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: