*Puffed* Wheat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrygirl4513, Aug 26, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Has anyone tried puffed wheat as a treat? NOT the sugar cereal kind, just plan ole puffed wheat cereal. I've been looking for something to pack around in my pockets to give as a treat and this works great. The kind I found is all natural, no sodium red puffed wheat. My chickies love it. It's just the right size for them, plus I can pack some in my pocket whenever I go outside and they come running to me begging for a treat.

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I think it would be fine. My chickens get all kinds of non sugared cereal and are perfectly fine.[​IMG]

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I feed my chickens shredded wheat...mixed with milk, all soggy. They gobble it all up!

4. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Quote:Good idea. I mainly like the puffed wheat cuz I can pack some in my pockets to give to the babes when they beg for it. I will have to try the shredded wheat/milk sometime, I'm sure they will love it. [​IMG]

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Puffed wheat is a great idea!!! I feed them dry oatmeal for a treat and they go nutso. I will have to try the puffed wheat.

6. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Mine love the plain puffed wheat. I get the bag at Wally world and add it to their scratch mix.

~Julie

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    That's what I was thinking Julie, the big generic economy bag like I buy the generic oatmeal in the big container. Pretty soon they will be having scratch as winter sets in as the will need the corn. Last year I actually bought a 50lb bag of cracked corn and mixed it right in with their layer pellets. I am sure they are going to LOVE the puffed what though....lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by