puffy bottom eye lids please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pickledshoe, Aug 19, 2014.

1. pickledshoe

pickledshoe New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    [​IMG]
    both eyes are puffy and she is standing very still there right now she can open her eyes but closes them after i try to see whats wrong
    [​IMG]
    here is a close up I also noticed some dried discharge on one of the lower lids

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    That looks like Infectious Coryza. I would quarantine her immediately. This is a very fast spreading disease. Watch for more swelling in the face, if more continues, she definitely has Coryza.

3. pickledshoe

pickledshoe New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    I moved her the a cage and put on the lawn. Should I try and sanitize the feeder and waterer in my coop?

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    You should definitely disinfect the feeder and waterer in the coop. Haemophilus paragallinarum bacteria (what causes Coryza) is easily killed by disinfectants. I hope none of the other birds get ill! Thankfully the mortality rate of Coryza is fairly low, but like I said, it is very contagious. Acute outbreaks (ones that occur over a short period of time) are more likely to happen just to warn you. I would keep a very close eye on all the other chickens in the next week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by