puffy chest and broken leg

Wendykneil

Hatching
Mar 30, 2020
I have a sweet girl who got thumped by a preditor. There is no broken skin. I think she has a broken right leg... looks like the knee. So she is flopping and cant get up. Her right underside feels puffy. Her spirits are pretty good. She is eating and drinking. I have her propped up in a small dog bed. She is allert. I would love advice on how to splint a knee? Will the puffyness resolve on its own? I'm assuming it is a ruptured air sack. Thanks so much for your input. This is my first time around. Wendy ( and Peep )

It does sound like a ruptured air sac (subcutaneous emphysema.) Is she having any trouble breathing? If not, you could watch it, but if she is laboring or it is huge, you can deflate it with a sterile needle. An 18 gauge is preferred, but you can use a 20 or 22 gauge if you have it. A large sewing needle might be okay if sterilized.

Can you post pictures of her leg? Is there swelling, redness, green brusing, or any breaks in the skin? Here is a splinting guide and look at pages 17-22 for legs:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here is a video of splinting the lower leg:

Air from a leaking air sac may be reabsorbed by the body if the chicken is not struggling to breathe. A needle and syringe can be used, or the air can be squeezed out when a needle is inserted. It can reaccumulate. Here is a video of a vet removing air from a bird with a leaking air sac:

It does sound like a ruptured air sac (subcutaneous emphysema.) Is she having any trouble breathing? If not, you could watch it, but if she is laboring or it is huge, you can deflate it with a sterile needle. An 18 gauge is preferred, but you can use a 20 or 22 gauge if you have it. A large sewing needle might be okay if sterilized.

Can you post pictures of her leg? Is there swelling, redness, green brusing, or any breaks in the skin? Here is a splinting guide and look at pages 17-22 for legs:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here is a video of splinting the lower leg:
Thank you for the info. Here is a photo of the leg. It seems to be the actual knee joint that is wobbly.

Attachments

• DE396B9F-E0B0-44E6-A383-3B6F88541528.jpeg
    DE396B9F-E0B0-44E6-A383-3B6F88541528.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 7
With the help of a friend who has access to medical supplies, we deflated the ruptured air sac. It was quite amazing. Peep is resting much more evenly. She is breathing through her mouth a bit more than before. I hope that is not a bad sign. She is still eating and alert.

We decided to hold off on the splinting until she is comfortable and stable. Maybe tomorrow. Since the injury seems to be the knee, should we splint it straight out or slightly bent? The toes seem to pronate in like a small fist, should we just leave that or try to keep them splayed out? And I have read that the splint should stay on 2-3 weeks? Thanks so much for your help!

On page 9 of the splinting manual, they mention that the toes may need to be kept in a normal position by applying a shoe, and I would probably splint in a slightly bent position as normal as possible. There might be a tendon that is loose allowing the joint to move around. I cannot really give advice on the right way to splint, though, since I am not a vet.

Back
Top Bottom