Puffy Chest?

easunshine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
My Dominique pullet has a puffy chest today. It's been this way since, I'd say, early afternoon. She's been more lethargic than usual as well, wanting to just hop up on the deck and sleep. At one point, my daughter picked her up shortly after she was at the waterer and she spit water out. How can I tell if she just overindulged, or if it's something to be concerned about? Thanks.

easunshine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Anyone? :( I'm trying to figure out if I need to get her to the vet tomorrow or not. It's my 6 year old son's chick, so I may be a tad hyperparanoid about something happening to it.

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Los Angeles
Is it her crop? Put her in a crate or pin overnight with no food. Check on her in the morning. If it is empty she is fine if not then there may be a problem. Do not try to make her vomit.

Noobchick

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Creedmoor, NC
How old is the bird? Are you sure she spit water out, or could it have dripped from her chin? Is her whole chest puffy or just one side? If it's just one side, which side is it?

easunshine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Yes, I'm certain she spit it (as in projectile) not dripped. Very notable difference. It was her whole frontal area. However, I've kept close watch of her today, and while she started the day not a whole lot better than she ended yesterday, she has gotten much better throughout. And by 5:00 she was back to her usual self and looked normal, too. So it seems it may have just been a backed up crop.

Top Bottom