"Puffy chicken with chalky yellow discharge from vent"

buttercreamgal

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
I went out to see my chickens today and one of my australorps was all puffed up and moving slowly, with a chalky yellow discharge from her vent, not a lot but I haven't seen this before (I'm also new to chickens though). Wondering what this is, what I can do for her? (I posted this in the new member area before I realized it should have gone here - sorry for the double post!)

Well, after a lot of reading I was worried it was possibly prolapse. I got some warm water to try and clean it off but when I went to wipe it, part of it broke off!!!! It was a thin, papery-like material. I gently pulled the rest out and it was knobby at the other end. Possibly something she shouldn't have eaten? She's still pretty lethargic. I got her to eat a little bread soaked in water. Her droppings were small, watery, brown and yellow. I haven't medicated any of my chickens, just layer pellets, water, and occasional scratch and bread. It sounds a little like EYP. I'll look that up now. Thanks so much for the information - those chickens are like family :)

She's still not doing well. Just sitting on the perch with her tail feathers down. If it is egg yolk peritonitis, is there anything I can do for her? Went to TSC and they didn't have penicillin - only for cows. If this is not something she'll recover from, what's the most humane way to put down a chicken? I don't want her to suffer. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom