"Puffy chicken with chalky yellow discharge from vent"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buttercreamgal, Oct 5, 2012.

1. buttercreamgal

buttercreamgal New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    I went out to see my chickens today and one of my australorps was all puffed up and moving slowly, with a chalky yellow discharge from her vent, not a lot but I haven't seen this before (I'm also new to chickens though). Wondering what this is, what I can do for her? (I posted this in the new member area before I realized it should have gone here - sorry for the double post!)

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
  3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
  4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Does it almost look like cooked egg? It sounds like EYP (egg yolk peritonitis). It's when the egg doesn't drop properly and it gets infected.

http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

I had a girl who laid allot of shell-less eggs get it. I hope she gets better soon.

5. buttercreamgal

buttercreamgal New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    Well, after a lot of reading I was worried it was possibly prolapse. I got some warm water to try and clean it off but when I went to wipe it, part of it broke off!!!! It was a thin, papery-like material. I gently pulled the rest out and it was knobby at the other end. Possibly something she shouldn't have eaten? She's still pretty lethargic. I got her to eat a little bread soaked in water. Her droppings were small, watery, brown and yellow. I haven't medicated any of my chickens, just layer pellets, water, and occasional scratch and bread. It sounds a little like EYP. I'll look that up now. Thanks so much for the information - those chickens are like family :)

6. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Hope you figure it out soon. It's so hard when this stuff happens.

7. buttercreamgal

buttercreamgal New Egg

Oct 5, 2012
    She's still not doing well. Just sitting on the perch with her tail feathers down. If it is egg yolk peritonitis, is there anything I can do for her? Went to TSC and they didn't have penicillin - only for cows. If this is not something she'll recover from, what's the most humane way to put down a chicken? I don't want her to suffer. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by