Puffy crop on 2 week old chick.

TripMomma

Chirping
Jan 27, 2015
Oregon
Today is day 4 of one of my chicks acting off, though the first day I didn't notice it. She has been lethargic, standing as much as possible, hunched over and puffed up, eating and drinking a little, not into normal chick activities, watery poops. Today I started Cocci treatment. I just did a hands on check of her and noticed her crop feels really puffy and full, but I don't feel the marble like feel...it feels like it is full of air or something. The other chicks have a marble or two in a more empty feeling than not crop...but the sick one feels like a pillow or airbag is in her crop. Is this a sign of Cocci...or is there some other reason for this puffy crop? She does seem a little better after drinking the treated water, started around 1pm today, but the crop is concerning me. Thanks.

Does the crop feel squishy like a balloon filled with water?

Is there a foul smell coming from the beak?

Perhaps do some research on Sour Crop.

Not sure if this could be linked to Coccidiosis.

I had one youngster who had a crop that felt squishy but he was good otherwise and never seemed to have a problem with it.

Good luck!

Thanks. It looks a bit better today than it did last night. I am gently massaging it a few times a day, just in case.

I had a chick earlier this year with a similar very large squishy crop. I took her off food for 24 hours, water only, the crop reduced dramatically, then once she started on feed again it's been fine ever since. I think she ate a HUGE worm, and it just took a while to pass into the stomach :)
Hope yours is ok soon!

Back
Top Bottom