puffy eye swelled shut inner eye tissue grey and black

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dronkeygirl, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dronkeygirl

dronkeygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    a little under a week ago one of my red hens i noticed wasnt opening her eye or really moving much so i brought her in the house in a small cage. she ate when i put some food where she could see it. sunday i noticed she hadnt eaten and when i opened her eye it was stuck a little together she moved her eye and blicked her inner lids and when i looked at the inner tissue it was muddy grey and black. i have tryed dropping water in it to flush any thing out but its still swelled. ive tryed to give pennicellin but she is really skinny so im having problems finding a place to give it to her and she finds that moment to get extra energy [​IMG] im having to force feed her food and water then last night i found a wound on her back the muscle looks fine its the skin thats really nasty. i clipped a few feathers around the area squirted a little water in it then peroxide then flushed again with water and filled with antiboitic ointment. both issues are on the same side. does anyone know what this could be or how to treat it and im i doing ok so far. all help apprecated thanks

2. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    oh my gosh! i am so sorry, never have seen any thing like it, you should try to find moe immediate and proffesional help than up.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello dronkeygirl. I am sorry for the trouble you are having with your hen. I looked up some of her symptoms and they seem to match symptoms of Marek's disease, especially her gray eye, lethargy, weight loss, and skin problems. Here is a link to an article about Marek's that describes these symptoms. How old is your hen? Is it possible for you to post a picture of her back wound? What does her poop look like? I hope someone with more knowledge comes along soon to be of more help to you. Good luck with your hen. http://www.helium.com/items/1377323-mareks-disease

4. dronkeygirl

dronkeygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    well it took me a while to find a vet that saw chickens then they wanted $50 just to walk in the door which i dont have and they wouldnt work with me or give any suggestions. but good news after i made her eat and treated her wound she walked around a min then went back in her cage sat down and started drinking water on her own so she must be feeling a little better

5. dronkeygirl

dronkeygirl New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    i didnt think about taking a picture and shes is my sons room asleep. shes about 9 months old, i gave some of my roosters to my neighbor and he said they are kinda skinny too we got them all from the same place it could just be their breeding. her eye isnt grey its the tissue in the bottom corner like some mud got caught in it. her poop was liquid and white but has had 1 soild since yesterday. the wound was a quarter size yesterday but has shrunk to nickel size today and she seems to have more energy walked around a bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by