puffy eyes=death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ramirezframing, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I have lost 3 4 month old polish/sultan cross chicks to whatever this is. They are fine during the day and than I found #1 dead Tuesday morning, no sings of anything. Wensday moring, #2 same thing. Yesterday morning I found # 3 dead with a puffy face on one side (side on floor of coop) and what felt like a broken neck near the head. Today # 4 is alive but both sides of face around eyes is swollen/ puffy. The chick is sitting there not wanting to go out for free range or anything. I have other breeds of chicks in with these and they are fine (for the mintue). What could this be and how do I fix it? Thanks for any and all help.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I used DE around my 2 mo old chickens and 1 of them was wheezing with ragged breathing a few hrs later. I looked up the hazards of DE and was shocked at what I found. Did you recently use it around them?
    Edit: I got the stuff away from them and gave the wheezing one a bath and he was just fine by the next day.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    no runny eyes, nose, bad smell, or odd sounds

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How are they housed? What are you feeding? What kind of bedding?

6. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Their in the main part of the chicken house away from the other birds. I let them out in the morning for an hour to free range while I clean waters and feeders out. Than I call them in with their chick starter. I also let them free range in the afternoon while I feed the adult birds and than about after an hour I put them back in. I don't have bedding down because I had cocci early this spring with these chicks. I went through and cleaned the house and than cleaned and painted the house. I clean the house once a week. I plan on cleaning the house a few times over the winter when the birds are moved into the adult pens and than repainting it and stripping the floor and putting in a floor that I can sweep and wash alot easier than pressbroad wood. (not sure now)

7. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Could ANY type of creature get into the coop or anything toxic in there? I'm at a loss. I hope someone can help you figure this out.

8. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I have found a few snakes around the house this year, one init last year.(rat snake) I have also seen mice in it at night, I guess after the crumbs. Never had these problems before. [​IMG] Thanks for the help.

9. ramirezframing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I wormed them on sunday night or monday night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by