Katsfarm

Hatching
Jul 10, 2020
Hi everyone, im new to chickens and this is my first flock. I have 11 chickens and a rooster all about 13 weeks old now and free range. About a month and a half ago, I started noticing one or two chickens with a reddish and puffy eye. About two/three weeks later, about half the flock had at least one puffy eye or redness around the eye. I decided to get VETRX and treated all of them with minimal results. I’m definitely concerned but they have ZERO other symptoms, no sneezing, no fluids coming from eyes or beak, and they run around the yard all day no issues. My two Embden geese share a coop and they’re 6 weeks old and perfectly fine. Anyone else have these problems and what should I do? Thank you!!

Attachments

• 4375343E-DCD1-44E9-A57E-7B965A320FC3.jpeg
    4375343E-DCD1-44E9-A57E-7B965A320FC3.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 10
Where did the chicks come from? I would suspect a chronic respiratory disease, mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, that causes conjunctivitis and sinus infection. You would need to get a couple tested to confirm the disease. It is spread by a carrier or spread through the hatching egg. Certain antibiotics can treat symptoms, but the chicken will still have the disease for life and be a carrier. Here is some reading:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom