Puffy eyes, two chickens, wet mouth drying out, heavy/hard to breath, not eating or drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jumbojack, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Jumbojack

Jumbojack New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    OK, so, I'll try to be as detailed as possible.
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed my buff, Buffy, had a swollen eye, so I put some Antibiotics, Duramycin-10, in my flocks water, washed her eye out and did some research. Found that it might be a respatory infection.
    Today I checked my flock, Buffy still not doing as well, eye a bit bigger, checked my other ladies, none had swollen eyes.

I went to work, got to come home early around 2, picked up VetRX, electrolytes, and Tylan. found Buffy just laying there with her tail down. Put her in my back yard, cleaned her eye, force fed her some electrolytes and some food.

Checked my other girls, my Easter eager, Miss America, also has a little bit of a swollen eye but not laying down she was moving and eating. I moved her to my back yard.

Gave both girls .5ml of Tylan, fed them electrolyte water, and gave them a feeder and water thing with electrolytes.

I just put some VetRX on them and put them to bed in my house in my spare room.
    There eyes look ok, but Miss Americas got worse in just a few hours.

Am I doing something wrong, I am worried they might not make it through the night because Buffy's mouth is all gross with gooey mucus.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Would be best to put her in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideal).

-Kathy

3. mustang56

mustang56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
  4. Jumbojack

Jumbojack New Egg

Jul 7, 2016
    Both girls are inside in an aquarium now. I can't really sleep I'm so worried I'll wake up to two dead hens. I hope they survive the night, if they do I'll figure out how to post pictures and examine them more. Good news I went to go check on them and buffy did make a noise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by