puffy eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3goodeggs, Nov 21, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have been looking for what this could be, but I must be the worst person on the planet for figuring out 'search' words.

Problem: I noticed one hen today with the tissue all around her eye was swollen. One eye was dilated and the other constricted.
    So, then I started looking the rest of them in the eyes...some have it, some do not. But only one has wonky dilations.

There is no discharge from any thing. Nothing else is swollen. They seem in good spirits. They have been molting heavily, but we were commenting today how well they are all feathering in again.
    No eggs lately, I figured it was the molt. I was planning on wazine-ing tomorrow... should I now wait?
    Allergies? something serious? Do I run out to the chicken pharmacy and buy him out?

2. Lilly_0

Lilly_0 New Egg

Nov 22, 2010
    Puffy eyes are a common symptom of many ailments in my experience :-(
    Most obvious would probably be mycoplasma - keep an eye out for breathing problems, sneezing and nostril discharge. Treat with Tylan.

I recently lost 3 of my 14 week old chicks who all had puffy eyes but their eyes also went cloudy and had discharge.
    The vet recommended I treat them with both tylan and baytril.

After a weeks course of antibiotics they died one by one :-(
    I can only conclude that whatever they had was viral and there was nothing I could have done to treat them.
    Luckily I had seperated the sick ones as soon as they showed sign of illness and I think this prevented me losing my other chicks.

good luck x

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thank you so much. I will keep a close eye out for more symptoms.

I am sorry about your chicks.
    I woke up with puffy eyes too...I hope it is just rag weed. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    I hope you stay around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by