Puffy Faces/eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by confusedgirl, Sep 17, 2016.

1. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Hello byc! I'm going to need your help. I have about 20 laying hens and newly laying pullets and two full grown roosters. Considering how many layers I have believe 5eggs a day is not the most I could get from my girls naturally. This morning my girls have discharge from their noses and eyes that are swollen shut but there's no coughing or bubbles, just more like raspy breathing. I started two of my girls on antibodics but she's really not doing well and I'm afraid o of it being a virus and losing my entire flock and my babies in a separate coop. Can any of you tell me any diseases that I can look up and learn how to treat that would be wonderful. Thank you [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos?

It sounds like they have a respiratory illness. Symptoms of a lot of illnesses are similar and they can drastically reduce egg production.
    What antibiotic are you giving (dosage too)?

Antibiotics can help with any secondary infections due to complications from respiratory illness, but doesn't cure.

Flush eyes with saline and remove any discharge. You can apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eyes.

Separate and treat the ones that are sick. Respiratory illnesses are contagious and most make all exposed carriers for life regardless if they have ever shown symptoms or not.

Here's a list of common illnesses in chickens:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  3. confusedgirl

Mar 12, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. confusedgirl

Mar 12, 2016
    That's the only image my phone would let me upload my other girls don't look like this just swollen faces as far as the dosage goes and what I'm using I'll have to go find it

5. confusedgirl

Mar 12, 2016
    Terra-vet 10(tetracycline hydrochloride soluble powder) 1/3 teaspoon per quart

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Look at your package and compare it to the photos and product on POST #3 in the link below.

If your Terra-Vet10 looks like that, then the dosage is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon (4.5teaspoons) so this divided by 4 to give you quarts would be 1.125teaspoons per quart.

This could be why she is not responding, but respiratory illnesses are viral, so the antibiotics can help with any secondary infections due to complications from illness.

Try to keep the mucous wiped away the best you can, make sure she is staying hydrated. Offer her some egg, tuna, meat or mackerel for extra protein.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...e-and-tetracycline-powder-doses#post_16002461

If you can post a photo of your package that would be helpful.
    Depending on the brand you purchase changes the dosages.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  7. confusedgirl

Mar 12, 2016
    It's the fourth package down from the link you posted the green package

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by