Puffy faces. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccrichard, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ccrichard

ccrichard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Yesterday I noticed my Barred Rock pullet had a swollen face. Not sneezing, no fluid out of her nostrils no goop in eye. Just a swollen cheek.
    This morning I notice one of my RIR cockrels is starting to swell in the face. What do you think this could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for your help.

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    wow, that is strange. hope they are ok and someone who might have some insight on what the problem could be chimes in soon.

one thought thoughÂ… bee stings?

3. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Gosh, I hope is just bee stings. Not that I want them stung by bees, just scared It might be something more serious.

I went here http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044#TABLE_2

I just don't see any signs other than the swelling. They are eating and drinking fine, poo is normal, breathing good.

Wilma my Barred Rock with the most swelling is laying down more, I think because she can't see out of the swollen eye. Poor baby. [​IMG]

4. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Swelling saga continues - Still unsure of what's going on. Wilma my Barred Rock looked a little better last night when I brought them in, she could open her eye a tiny bit. They all seemed a little tired yesterday, kinda just laying and scratching around in the shade. I started giving them Rooster Booster Vitamins and some Rooster Booster B-12 in their food. I hope this helps [​IMG]. I just don't know what else to do for them.
    I will post more when I get them out this morning to see if there is any changes. Just in case someone else is going through the same thing.

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Just a hunch, but it could be from mosquito's

6. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    that is weird, although it's been so hot, it doesn't surprise me they were mopey. I think you need to get an answer from someone who is more experienced with chicken ailments. even though i mentioned bee sting and someone else mentioned mosquito bites, it seems like a stretch. I wish it was one of those things though as they would be an easy solution. Good luck, hope they are better today.

7. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Good News & Bad News......
    Good News - Just went out to let the gang out and Wilma's eye is looking better almost half open face swelling is down.
    Both boys are swollen faced and have a foamy eye. Wilma's was never foamy and still isn't. Now I am thinking it is something serious.

8. goldeneggtees

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    i'm sorry I can't help more.

9. ccrichard

Jun 2, 2010
    Loxahatchee, FL
    Anybody have any ideas???

Picture of one of the boys today.

[​IMG]