Puffy, lethargic hen

hannahrose899

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2020
I have a new flock of four ~17 week old hens. A few days ago, I started noticing that one of the black stars was looking and acting differently. She is very "poofy", much bigger than the other girls, with her head sunk down. She isn't as alert or skiddish as usual, and lets me come up to her without running away like she normally would. Today I started noticing her standing still and closing her eyes in the run. She's also acting very aloof -- the 4 of them usually go everywhere together, but this hen is now often on her own in the run or wandering in the yard while the other birds are in the coop. She is still eating and drinking, and I have not noticed any strange poop. None of the birds have started laying yet, and I'm in Tennessee where it's been a bit cold, but not extremely low temperatures. Any idea what could be wrong with her, or am I overreacting?

IMG_7124.jpg
IMG_7122.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but I have a couple questions. Is she low in the pecking order? Has she started squatting when you approach her from behind? (A sign she's ready to lay eggs)

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in, but I have a couple questions. Is she low in the pecking order? Has she started squatting when you approach her from behind? (A sign she's ready to lay eggs)
I have not noticed her squatting when I approach her, she doesn't really react at all. She is usually right in the middle of the pecking order, not the leader but not the one who typically lags behind.

Squatting means she's ready for a roo to mount her. She'll stay still instead of running away. So that may be one answer. But not sure why she's become a loner. Do you notice the others pecking at her or chasing her off?

I would look her over for an injury since she is eating and drinking. It seems like she doesn't want to move around too much. Does her abdomen feel hard or full? Does she have access to oyster shell or some type of calcium in case she is getting ready to lay?

Also look her over for mites or poultry lice since she has her feathers poofed out. The lice are hard to see since they move quickly when the feathers are parted.

Thanks so much @ChicNmom and @deidreg . I just went to put the girls to bed and she seemed even more weak. Most alarming is she has very little control over her feet and kept losing balance. I tried to help her onto the roost but she kept wobbling and falling off.

In the morning, I will check to see how her abdomen feels. They are eating layer feed, but I haven't given them any supplemental calcium or oyster shells.

Thanks so much @ChicNmom and @deidreg . I just went to put the girls to bed and she seemed even more weak. Most alarming is she has very little control over her feet and kept losing balance. I tried to help her onto the roost but she kept wobbling and falling off.

In the morning, I will check to see how her abdomen feels. They are eating layer feed, but I haven't given them any supplemental calcium or oyster shells.

That doesn't sound good. Did you leave her on the roost or on the floor? Can you put her in a crate or a different cage so she doesn't hurt herself? If she is that weak she may not make it through the night. :(

How is she doing this morning? @chicknmom is right, she's not well. Do quarantine her and keep her warm. We can tag a few knowledgeable members for more help.
She made it through the night but still isn't doing well. She is barely moving. We brought her inside where it is warmer. She drank water and ate a little bit this morning, but she is moving extremely slowly, still puffed up and was sitting in the run with her eyes closed.

When inspecting her, we noticed that there are hard lumps in her crop area, definitely not soft/doughy.

She made it through the night but still isn't doing well. She is barely moving. We brought her inside where it is warmer. She drank water and ate a little bit this morning, but she is moving extremely slowly, still puffed up and was sitting in the run with her eyes closed.

When inspecting her, we noticed that there are hard lumps in her crop area, definitely not soft/doughy.

My husband thinks that the "hard lumps" I am feeling are just her vertebrae. So I am really not sure.

Back
Top Bottom