Puffy/Swollen Eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dinosaur Gal, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Dinosaur Gal

Dinosaur Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    She is 2 years old i came out to the coop and saw her eye like this i dont rrmeber it beoing nlike the yeasterday butnit was dark in the coop so I may have not noticed. Her eye is buffy swollen and kinda running with clear liquid. She is seperated from the flock at the moment i had just got done treating a respatory disease in 3 other flocl members (not her) but she was exposed to them before teatment. She didnt seem to have any symtoms of the respatory disease so after i was done with treatment i put her and another hen back in to the flock.

I research it could it be a secondary infection or?? Ill try to answer any questions you have!

Here are some pictures

Her normal eye
    [​IMG]

Her swollen eye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Someone anyone please!

3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Does she have a runny nose, wheezing, cheesy material in the back of her mouth? That could indicate a respiratory infection of some kind, especially since you said she was exposed to it--respiratory infections are highly contagious. When you smell her face area, is there a foul smell? That could indicate Infectious Coryza. Does she have any other symptoms?

4. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    No runny nose no weezing no cheesy material as far as i can see she still is eating and drinking as far as i can tell. When i went to check her just now her eye is a little more swollen and her eye lid as well there was a wet brownish substance on her bottem lid and bubbles with a whiteish liquid covering her eye. her left eye is completly fine looking and is not swollen. No foul smell. As far as i know there is no other symtoms she isnt as active as the other chickens and dosnt really want to explore. I have a shed they like to stay in and i have a peice of fence to block the door so nothing can get in. But when i open it to let them out and free range she would rather stay inside. I also just started treating her for scaly leg mites she must have had them before i got her cause my original chickens are completely clean legged.

5. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

BUMP! Hope a guru drops in! That's VERY swolen! Do you have saline solution to flush the eye with and triple antibiotic eye ointment or Vertacyn opthalmic gel? When you were treating the other 3 for URI, did they have any similar symptoms? If you have antibiotics, I'd start her along with vital pac or similar to keep her boosted. Best I can do for you, best of luck and please keep us updated.

6. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Me to! Thank you so i dont have any solutions like that do you know if there is a recipe to make a saline solution? No they had nothing like this the most severe of the 3 that were sick had a runny nose and sneezed i treated the threenwirth Tylan 50 by mouth twice a day for 5 days and their symtoms greatly inproved i had the other 2 non sick ones in quarintine for about a week untill they were domne with the meds nether of the 2 non sick birds showed any symtoms except for the ocasional sneeze the just roday i found her eye like this and was horrified i imediatly seperated her. She is now jn my padio. I still have the Tylan 50 i gave her a dose this afternoon and i plan on giving her another this night. The Tylan 50 is all i havenfor anitbiotics/medicine :(

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Tylan 50 when given by mouth usually takes longer to take effect, as opposed to being injected intramuscularly with a 22g needle. If I was using tylan by mouth I would do it for at least 7 days. Always make sure to feed a probiotic (like sav-a-chik) during antibiotic treatment to keep her immune system running well. Is her face swollen and hard? or does it feel kinda soft. I'm wondering if you could use a topical eye wash. Hmmmmmm. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of experience with diseases like this (my specialty is bumblefoot [​IMG])
    Is she still eating/drinking normally?

8. beetandsteet

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I'm going to do some research for you and see what I find

9. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

To flush the eye, contact lens solution is fine. I would pick up some either Vetracin gel or triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment. It's good to have all 3 on hand. I'd do a full course of antibiotics as well.

10. Dinosaur Gal

Aug 12, 2015
    North Pole
    Thank you all for the help i dont have (sav a chick) and idk if we can get it in time the closes tracter supplie that would carrie that is 30 miles away. Idk about a solution but i do have a eye ointment that i was perscribed by my vet for my cat its called Neo-Poly-Dex Opithalmic ointment would that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by