Puking Chicken?? Is It Okay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chirping

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 2 almost 11 week pullets. They are eating organic developer. I also give them treats during the day...cheese, watermelon, corn, scrambled eggs, leftover eggplant parmesan. They free range during the day. The other day i saw some white patches on the dirt and thought the kids threw out some oatmeal and it got wet..but today my DH saw a big pile of it..and i realized it looked like the other stuff..so when i poked at it.. i saw it was their chicken feed....obviously thrown up. DO THEY DO THIS ONCE IN A WHILE OR IS IT A SIGN OF A SICK BIRD? They are acting normal and seem happy. ANYONE?????

2. oliviad51

oliviad51 Songster

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have had a couple different hens puke out water after drinking a lot. I'm not sure about the food though..

3. fl_deb

fl_deb Songster

May 7, 2010
    Okay at the risk of sounding silly here: Are you sure it is not just poo with the white capping from their urine that you are looking at?

not every poo will have it but it is definately white and noticible in the yard.

Are you providing grit with all those treats? They need the grit for digestion especially if they do not have access to small pebbles through free ranging.

Just the first things that come to mind....hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by