PULEASE tell me again why we can not have a bear hunt.... D U H!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thewarriorchild, Jan 26, 2009.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Hundreds of dead birds found in Somerset CountyJanuary 25, 2009
    department spokeswoman.

FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) _ Hundreds of dead birds fell onto homes and cars in parts of a Somerset County town this weekend.

Andrea Kipec, who lives in the southern part of Franklin Township, told the Courier News of Bridgewater that she counted more than 150 dead birds on her property. And she said local officials told her that she had to clean them up.

Kipec and other area residents said police told them about an e-mail from the U.S. Department of Agriculture that discussed a program to poison blackbirds and starlings, but they were unaware of specific details.

However, Donna Leusner _ a spokeswoman for the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services _ said Sunday night that the dead birds were part of a USDA program to reduce the European starling population.

Leusner told The Star-Ledger of Newark that her department wasn't part of the culling program, but said it had been told of plans to feed the birds a "controlled substance." She could not say where they were poisoned or what was used to kill them.

"The dead birds pose no hazard to people or pets because the substance has been metabolized inside the bird," Leusner said, citing information in a USDA advisory.

That statement said the culling was done because European starlings "congregate at feed lots and dairies in the winter, causing damage by consuming and contaminating seed and contributing to the spread of diseases."

from: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--deadbirdmystery0125jan25,0,1315506.story

There are just no words for the stupidity in this state!! Why didnt they put the feed and dairy in "bird safe containers" [​IMG] AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Good heavens, that's horrible.

Sarah

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Words cannot express my absolute disgust, I don't think I should type what I am thinking at this moment...arghhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    I see you edited! lol [​IMG] Self control!! [​IMG] I do not understand how it is ok to kill all those birds and I do not remember a single story about the attack of the birds on NJ!!

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Sometimes things have to be done to keep non native species under control. I know they are just birds. But back home a non native species of birds cleared my grandpas fish pond clear out. Birds can become so invasive that they take over and native species dissappear. Just look down to Florida all those non native reptiles down there. Just one example from there the non native Anolis Sagrei has pushed the local species Anolis carolinensis(green anole)literally out of Florida. Ive been there for five years and have never seen a green anole but my cat dragged thoe anolis sagrei home EVERY day. We had a graveyard of bodies and bodyparts by the front door. Invasive species are even more dangerous on Island eco systems like Hawaii's.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Sorry English, I know they are one of your own, but they are reeking havoc with many of our bird populations. Woodpeckers are in serious trouble because starlings take their nest cavities, western blue birds (not jays) are having similar issues. Our birds didn't evolve side by side with starlings like yours did, they have no defenses for survival. Invasive species are a serious problem with huge impacts.

7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:true imagine what would happen if we let skunks or raccons loose in the british or any other island. In iceland they could wipe out the puffin population . One beloved animal is another persons threat.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    poor birds!...thats all i'm gonna say...[​IMG]

9. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:what if it wasnt a cute little bird but a venomus snake, say a cobra or a other large boid?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:what if it wasnt a cute little bird but a venomus snake, say a cobra or a other large boid?

well.....*looks down at feet sheepishly*......[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by