Pulled A Long Red Line From Chicks Bum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EightIsEnough, Mar 19, 2013.

1. EightIsEnough

EightIsEnough Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    New chicks arrived a few days ago, last to hatch (under mom) seemed listless and stood in one spot not moving. Had noticed it's bum pasted with poop. I had already cleaned it 2 times (soaked chicks bum in warm water and used olive oil on a Q-Tip to gently pull away the caked poop). I thought I might have given it a chill since it wasn't moving and non-reactive, yet it's bum continued to cake with poop. I tried the warm soak again to remove more poop, but this time, (Q-Tip in hand) I started to pull out of it's bum what looked like a red string/membrane, rolling it onto the Q-Tip it was about 2 inches long. I figured I pulled out it's intestines or a large parasite. After I did that and warmed the chick up it started eating and drinking and moving about, not like the other chicks but a vast improvement from before.

Could that red string/membrane have been a parasite? What could have caused the listlessness and the unwillingness to thrive? I am using ProBiotics in the water now and added medicated feed. Could either of those help/improve the chicks condition? Any ideas?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You probably pulled what was left of it's umbilical cord.

We'll pray it lives.

You live and learn.

Good luck and may God bless.

3. EightIsEnough

EightIsEnough Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Chick is doing well today and eating. Still poopy bum, but removed dried poop and immediately pooped, a healthy one, not stuck. Eating and drinking - so hopefully what it was (or wasn't) is no longer an issue. Still not as big as other chicks but part Silkie (bantam) and is the youngest. Thanks for your response - means a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by