puller or roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HandsOffMyHens, Dec 22, 2013.

1. HandsOffMyHens

HandsOffMyHens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    We bought a barred rock roo, Easter egger roo and 3 EE hens from Myers. We lost all but two within 4 days of arrival. The barred rock roo made it and is quite obviously a brazen little roo right down to white dot on his head. We assumed the other chick that lived was the EE roo as it is larger than the 3EE that died. Can you tell at this age if it is a roo or hen? It is not confrontational or dominant like the BR roo.[​IMG]
    Here is one more pic...[​IMG]

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I agree that the Barred Rock is a roo. The other one looks to be a hen. One of the best ways to tell if a young chicken is a rooster or hen is to watch their feather development (female chickens develop feathers faster than males) and comb/wattle development (male chickens develop their combs and wattles faster than females). I hope this helps! Merry Christmas!!!

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the 2 ways I check the sex of a chick, one is to vent sex- hard to do at 5 days old as this one is this is a chick right side up, if it is a boy you would see a little white pimple on the upper ring of his "cherrio" this is one way, works slightly better when older....
    [​IMG]
    another is feather sexing- if you have a chick that does this....[​IMG]
    on day old chicks/ 2 day old chicks if the feathers on the wing has one row of feathers even length it is a boy/ if it has feathers of diff lengths it is a girl, another way to feather sex, is if you see these chicks are 5 day olds- but even it would show on 3 day olds- the girls feather out sooner.In this pic the chicks to the right are most likely girls.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's too young to say for sure. Post pics at around 6-8 weeks of age, when they're fully feathered. Profile shots, including legs, and a comb shot are best for sexing EEs.

5. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    they are not EE's I have them sexed by day 2 most of the time, thanks though.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. HandsOffMyHens

HandsOffMyHens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Gimme Birdies, I think Don Rae was replying to my post, not your reply. I asked about sexing the EE in the picture.

7. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    yeah- I figured that one out too late- hehe although i thought my blue splash has markings like a EE[​IMG]

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I would say for now you have a little pullet there but Post
    again at 6 weeks ....

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by