Pullet acting sick, PLEASE help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thebarngodess, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Thebarngodess

Thebarngodess New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    One of my barred rocks is acting a little bit strange....not hanging with the others, puffing out a little bit and not perching on her roost (she lays on the ground or floor of the coop). Tonight she did not even leave the pen when my
    husband let them out to peck around...she laid down in a corner of the pen.

She seems to be eating and drinking okay. I am out of town until next weekend and my hubby called me last night a little worried about her. Not sure what to tell him to do. Could she be egg bound? None of mine have laid any eggs yet (they are about 22 weeks old) He said he did notice some mites on her though, but that is all.
    He bought a bunch of stuff tonight and treated all of them, their entire pen, and the coop for the mites. Can mites make a chicken feel that terrible? And if so, why are the other girls not acting the same? I just have a gut feeling that it is something more. All the other girls are fine. I am not even sure if a pullet can even be egg bound if they have never laid before??? Please let me know if you can think of what might be wrong with her or if there is anything we can do to troubleshoot
    to see what the problem might be. Of course this happens when i am out of town!!

Thanks soooo much for any thoughts and suggestions you have! I am a worried mom!

2. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Mites could do it, but only in cases of severe infestation. How is her poop? Isolate her from the rest of the flock asap, could be an infection.

3. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    I agree.....quarantine the sick one asap, you never know what it is. A picture of the poop would help. In her quarantine pen, give her water with vitamins, and up her protein (not sure of what you're feeding but do layer feed mixed with cat food or boiled / scrambled egg. Last resort: have you're hubby feel her vent. If she's eggbound you may be able to feel it in there and, unfortunately, he'll have to go get it. Try the quarantine and other stuff first. and Post us an update. Good Luck [​IMG]

4. Thebarngodess

Thebarngodess New Egg

Aug 2, 2010
    She is isolated and did not move much throughout the night. Didn't look like she ate or drank much either. He did add an electrolyte solution to her water. She was treated for mites last night, they should all be dead now. She had 2 spots of watery diarrhea throughout the night too. No improvement. I am scared!! Thought of starting sulmet tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by