Pullet attacked! *GRAPHIC PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EastinChickens, Jul 22, 2010.

1. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    My young (about ten week old) pullet had gotten herself tangled in the fence of my older bird's run some how, and now her wing is severly damaged (they were pecking at her and the fence was slicing her open). I don't think anything is broken, but she doesn't have any balance. She is in my arms right now wrapped in a towel, and is stable. She is no longer bleeding very badly. Her head is also twitching???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. EastinChickens

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    someone please help...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh boy. I can't see the wound very well....pic is a bit blurry. If you can just clean that wound, and then put her in a dog crate or box with some comfortable so she can rest, that would be good. She may be in some shock and rest will do her good. Vitamins/electrolites in her drinking water are a good idea too. Just give her some time......

Good luck with her.

4. EastinChickens

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    I figured out why her head is twitching, she has a chunk of skin missing on the back of her neck about the size of a dime. not sure about nerve damage though...

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is kind of hard to tell from the picture how bad the wound is. Clean it as best you can, and apply something like a First aid Antibiotic ointment or iodine on the wound. She may need some sugar water. You may have to force it down her throat but it will help with the shock. That is what I would do, I hope others have better answers. [​IMG]

6. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    This is awful to say, but it may be kinder to put her of her misery.

7. EastTexasChick

EastTexasChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    I had a Roo that was attacked by another roo and his wound looked just like you little birds.... I just got a squirt bottle filled with water and peroxide (<sp) about half and half and squirted his wing really good to disinfect (it may help to cut the feathers away from the wound so its easer to clean)... Then I put neosporin on the wound(do not use the neosporin with pain reliever in it, I heard that can kill the bird, but the original is safe to use)... Keep her in a box or pet carrier and put her in a cool room by herself for the night.... Keep using the neosporin (the wound may be soggy or watery for a few days but it should dry out as it heals) if you do let her outside you may want to squirt her with the water/peroxide and add neosporin just to keep it disinfected... Also try to keep her away from the other birds as much as you can.. If the other birds see the wound they will keep pecking at it and could really hurt her more.... Good luck

8. justbugged

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I think that there is a first aid spray that would act like a bandage, it would also be easier to use and apply.

9. EastinChickens

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    thank you all for your help. Right now she is in a cat carrier and is sleeping.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    oooo no peroxide, it burns !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by