pullet being pecked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackbetty, Nov 24, 2014.

1. blackbetty

blackbetty New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    I have just set up my coop and bought 2 older hens and a pullet, the young one seems to be getting pecked a lot and she seems scared of the other two. how bad can hen pecking get? I am getting a new young one and hope the big ones settle.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is the young pullet? Pecking canget deadly if they are new to one another, or very different in size. I would separate the younger one until you get another, then try to put her with the new one if they are similar in size. After they are together, then combine the two groups gradually between some netting or fencing in the coop. Take it slow, and only combine if they are close in age or size.

3. blackbetty

blackbetty New Egg

Nov 20, 2014
    The young one is about 20 weeks and the older are 2 years and I am getting another younger one tomorrow . She is not bald off pecking she just seems to be the last one to get her food and is last one in coop etc

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Ditto what Eggcessive said. Pecking can start off mild but sometimes it gets worse quickly. How big is the coop you have them in? The more space they have the better. I would put out an additional feeder/water so the younger bird maybe can have an easier time getting her food, if you decide to leave them together. If they were my birds I'd separate the younger one as Eggcessive said and reintroduce both young birds later. You are going to need a separate place for the new bird you are getting anyway rather then just popping her in with these birds. Maybe let the two younger birds share a fenceline with these two older ones for a few weeks and see if things settle down. They usually do in time, you just don't want this pecking to become a habit first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by