Pullet broke her toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kiaya611, May 10, 2007.

1. kiaya611

kiaya611 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Lebanon, OR
    Today one of my 10 week old pullets broke her toe at the knuckle. I wasn't exactly sure the best way to handle it, but i decided to splint it with a small piece of bamboo skewer and medical tape. One of my concerns is that the other chickens would start picking on her because she had this on her foot. I don't have an infirmary so she has to remain with the others.

If she is picked on to much, then I guess I will have to remove the splint and just let it heal crooked.

If she isn't picked on, how long should I leave the splint on for the toe to heal properly (hopefully)?

Your help is appreciated.

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, I am in no way an expert-but here's my novice advice.
    When a child breaks a bone, they are in a cast a shorter amount of time than an adult. This is due to the growth rate. Childrens bones regenerate much quicker than older teens and adults. My 5 year old had a broken arm and only had to be in a cast for 4 weeks. My older child had to be in a cast for 6 weeks.

If you can keep her splinted-I would guess that 3 to 4 weeks should be good enough seeing how she is only 10 weeks and still growing. Her bone shoulf regenerate fairly quickly as opposed to an older hen-plus she doesn't have as much weight on her than an older bird.

I splinted a duck wing before, and it stayed on about a week before the other ducks "finished it off".

Best wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by