Pullet bullets - Miss Prissy, Speckled Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Dec 10, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have an 8 month old hen that's been laying for maybe a month and a half.
    She consistently lays what we are calling pullet bullets. See picture - bullet on the right, next to one of my "normal" eggs.
    Not knowing any better, I contribute the weird shape to her system being ut hum tight; although I have no idea if that's true about hens or not. [​IMG]
    Do you think she'll always lay the bullets or will they start to take on the normal shape after awhile?

[​IMG]

The inside looks the same as any other egg. I just keep them for our use rather than selling them.

2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    What type of chickens do you have? I get that too with our eggs on some. Can't wait to see there answers [​IMG]

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I got one like that from my white chinese goose!! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:All my hens are LF brahmas.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    My welsummer lays bullets just like that but she never used to. She used to lay regular sized ones. The only difference is she is old now [​IMG]

6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:All my hens are LF brahmas.

I don't have any of those chickens. HMM! Our duck even laid one shaped like that, of course it was white.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have no idea! I have a hatchery RIR who used to lay those bullet shapes, but much bigger than a pullet egg. She quit to molt and now she lays a completely different shape than she used to. Weird.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:All my LF Brahmas lay eggs just like the ones on the right. I have had excellent hatch rates when I set them. Rarely do I have an egg like the one on the left!! lol

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My Buckeye lays bullets. They're some of the tastiest eggs in the yard, so I won't complain.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:OH now you've gone and done it Tuff! Now I'm going to be forced to buy an incubator come spring so I can see just how well pullet bullets hatch! That's the excuse I'm gonna give my SO anyhow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by