pullet carrying tail to one side UPDATE: found a wound on her back

verlaj

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Micanopy, Florida
I have a lovely Speckled Sussex pullet that is about 9 months old. She is otherwise completely healthy as far as I can tell, but yesterday I noticed she was carrying her tail off to one side a bit. Today it seems a little more so. I have checked her over - no wounds, no feather loss, no pain or swelling in the area or at the base of her tail or over her back. She was vaccinated for Marek's at the hatchery.

She is one of 47 chickens in our flock, including a few roosters. They get commercial layer feed - always fresh - and free range all day long. Everybody else seems fine and dandy.

Any thoughts on what this might be from or what, if anything, I should do?

Last edited:
Could it be a wry tail? I don't know if they can develop it at nine months and I am wondering if maybe you might not have noticed it before? (I am not trying to say that you are a bad chicken keeper but with 47 chickens it could be possible?) If it is a wry tail, from what I have read, it is no big deal.

No, I would have noticed it. I look at them every day, and this is one of my favorites. I was wondering if one of the roosters might have hurt her - like she could have pulled a muscle or something. Haven't ever seen this before.

By the way, dsqard, thanks for the wry tail suggestion. I did look it up in my "Chicken Health Handbook." It seems like it would show up at an earlier age than this, but I wasn't sure.

Okay - there is a wound. I noticed this afternoon that the outside toe on the right side is curling backwards. So, when the pullet roosted, I collected her a went over her more carefully. I found a small, shallow wound on her back on the right side. I'm guessing either a rooster or perhaps a dog hurt her and she has some nerve damage. I'm thinking this will get better by itself, but I'll keep an eye on her, separate her if necessary.

Any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing?

I would keep a close eye on her, if the others see the wound and they start to peck and it could get nasty, Do you have blue kote? that helps to cover red and open wounds, I'd say rest will also help.

Sound like a wound caused by a rooster's spurs or toenails. If you have multiple roosters in the flock they may be trying to breed the hens at the same time which can cause injuries. This can be a problem with gang breeding roosters, excited unskillfull cockerels, overly aggressive roosters or overly large roosters. Such wounds generally heal rapidly if not re irritated. Seperating from the roosters helps, but you then face the problems of reintegrating her into the flock.

Thanks for the suggestions. The wound is dry and the skin is not irritated. We do have 2 young Marans roosters that have not honed their romantic approach and they are pretty big. There is another rooster - a very suave white Ameraucana - that generally keeps the Marans away from the hens. Nonetheless, the Marans sometimes get their chance, and they are a little rough.

I do have blue kote - love the stuff - but I had to search for the wound under the feathers, so I don't think the other chickens can see it.

I will watch her carefully and bring her inside it she gets any worse, and maybe bring in a buddy too. I've pretty well mastered the return to the flock routine! Better with 2 than with one, penned for a couple of days before return where the others can see them, and release when the flock is out and about free-ranging.

One of the biggest problems with such wounds is maggot infestation. Flies will lay eggs in the wound and maggots develop. I think it is cold enough even in Fla. that this won't be a problem this time of year, but keep it in mind for summer injuries.

Back
Top Bottom