1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet catatonic after hawk attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cochinator, Dec 11, 2013.

1. cochinator

cochinator Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

This bird was attacked by a hawk yesterday. There is a gash on it's back about an inch long all the way through the skin to the meat. I did not treat the wound yesterday because I did not see it and thought the bird was OK after I scared the hawk off of it. It was acting funny today and I picked it up and saw the wound, and I have poured betadine on it and put globs of neosporin in it. I noticed it was not eating well and not moving very much, just standing in the coop by itself. All it's friends are active and have a full craw, this one is doing nothing and has an empty craw. It let out a pure white milky poop and last time I had a bird do that it died a few hours later. It has not pooped since and that was 5-6 hours ago. The others went to bed and this one just kept standing up so i brought it inside and sat it on the hearth. It literally has not moved from that spot in 3 hours. It did eat some but is otherwise just catatonic. This is unusual because these are standard hyperactive pullets that usually run all over the place. Is this normal after an attack and will the bird shake out of it? Should I give it a penicillin shot?

Thanks for any advice.

2. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Had a polish that survived an owl attack without a scratch, two othets did not. That polish was acting just like yours for days maybe a week. He sat with wings drooping not moving or eating.

3. cochinator

Jul 18, 2013
    Thanks for the info the bird is alive, eating and pooping regularly now but still has not moved from the same spot on my fireplace. This is a bird that was used to free ranging, I didn't even know it knew how to sit still until this and it hasn't moved for over 12 hours.

4. smith76

smith76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    My polish is a very active and friendly bird who had no idea that there were animals that might try and eat it. He is still the same bird just more wary now. Between two nights in the same week owls and coons killed or hauled away 10 of my 18 birds. So the ones I have are all a little wary of everything. I think your pullet will be fine just wiser

5. cochinator

Jul 18, 2013
    This bird is still sitting on my fireplace, she barely moves. She does eat some and poops but doesn't eat a whole lot, crop doesn't get full. I tried to put her outside with the others and she stood there in the same place for hours so I brought her back in. She walks fine if she's really prompted to but 3 days post attack and it's still acting totally spaced out.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor girl. Maybe she is still in shock. Try tempting her with some scrambled eggs and tuna. I suppose she could have suffered internal damage.

7. cochinator

Jul 18, 2013
    Posting for the benefit of future readers who have chickens in shell shock. This bird finally got back to normal after about a week and fully recovered. Just took is a really long time to start moving again and acting normal.

1 person likes this.
  8. son4momtime

son4momtime Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Tampa Florida
    This was good I have a 6 week old pullet that was plucked by my Silkie Roo now she is just sitting around and not eating she is normally making noise and running around I am so worried but feel a little better now.. I hope she comes out of this also.. Thanks

9. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

We had our third hawk attack yesterday. This time my husband got there in time to interrupt got the chicken and chased the rest of the hens into the enclosed run. He took her to the vet who gave her a shot of something and a subcutaneous injection of fluids. She was dope all evening, almost like she was dead. She did open her eye and look at me but didn't move. I dribbled water on her beak but she wasn't drinking. I kept checking on her and by midnight her tail was moving. During the night she moved but was wedged against the side of the dog crate she is in. This morning, she as picking up her head, but could not stand when she tried to move around. I tried putting her on the small perch I made, but she could not hold on and immediate fell over. I left her with water and food "under her nose". She was eating a bit before I left, but still lying on her side. Your advice about this taking time is helpful. She has a cut along her beak and another one on her leg. The vet didn't think she had any broken bones but she did squawk when he touched her leg.

10. rineckranch

rineckranch New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    I'm so thankful for this post. I recently just went thru this with one of my barred rock hens. She is about 1 yr old. After winds from Hurricane Matthew passed, 2 nights later, 2 armadillos tried to get inside my coop. I woke up to the sound one of my hens squawking hysterically at midnight. So I went outside and found the armadillos has not gotten inside. My 5 hens were safe, just spooked. Another one of the hens was sitting huddled over in the back of the run practically scared to death. Then I saw the hysterical one, Sassy, pecking her. I didn't want that so I let Sassy out and locked the door. The next day, the scared one was still sitting there. All the others were full of energy like normal. I let my hens free range during day, but this scared hen wouldn't move. So I took her out, stroked her feathers, sang to her, prayed for her, and put her in my garage. She was like catatonic. I didn't know chickens could get like this. She wouldn't eat or drink much for 3-4 days. She decided to sit right up against the door to our house the whole time. It's been a week and she is just now starting to come out of it. My husband named her Brave so that she would start to believe in herself. [​IMG] Oh, and I think during the fray that night she tried to get out and cut her cheek on the wire cuz she was bleeding. It was bad enough to take that little feathery patch off her ear and crust over. So I still don't know what wigged her out the most...the hurricane (which caused us no damage but a bunch of big tree limbs down in the yard), the armadillos or if Sassy attacked her in her hysteria. But I'm hoping Brave will come out of this fully. She mingles with the other hens some but still seems skidish. I let her sleep in the back porch by herself for now. This post gave me so much insight that it has happened to other hens. Chickens sure are entertaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by