pullet/chick not walking, feet look "dead" graphic pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by popcornpuppy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I have a 10 week old heritage RIR pullet who is not doing so well. We moved them from the brooder to the outside coop 2 weeks ago. They are in the "baby section" away from the big birds. A few days ago we noticed our little Sue was trying very hard to swallow something and she couldn't get it down. We dislodged the obstuction and brought her back inside for observation. Since comming inside, I noticed that she was always laying down in the brooder. I thought maybe she was just week or stressed from the choking episode.
    Today I took a good close look at her and noticed that her feet are turning gray, her feet seem week and look "dead". The rest of her legs are yellow, it's just her feet that are looking gray. They smell bad, have a few small scabs and her toes feel cold. There is no swelling. I am not sure if some of the skin is necrotic or just scabbed. She also does not seem to have much movement, control or grip in her toes. (That's why I said her feet look dead.)
    I know pics would help alot, but I have not taken any as of yet. My main concern was to get Sue comfortable first. We have her resting on a hot water bottle. I have washed and cleaned up feet, and we are hand feeding her to make sure she is getting enough nutrion and water.

Does anyone know know if this could be a circulation problem? If so, why?
    Or any other thoughts as to what the problem could be? I will try to post pics as soon as I can.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Is there any way that she could have gotten frostbite?

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Could it be frostbite?

4. Quote:Yes, the dreaded frostbite. If this is in fact the problem there is not a lot you can do for your bird.

Chickens REQUIRE their feet. Life is a misery for them if they lose them.

5. popcornpuppy

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I don't know if it's frost bite. We have a heat lamp for the babies in the coop and Sue's brothers seem fine.
    Here are the promised pics of top and bottoms of her feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Yes, the dreaded frostbite. If this is in fact the problem there is not a lot you can do for your bird.

Chickens REQUIRE their feet. Life is a misery for them if they lose them.

There is a pic on this forum somewhere of someone who had a roo that last his feet due to frostbite. After they healed, the ankle nubs were wrapped with vet wrap for cushioning and he thumped his way through life just fine. Not the best scenario, but nonetheless, he lived happily.

Popcorn Puppy...any chance you could get her to a vet? If she has gangrene in her feet, she'll need a strong antibiotic. The bad odor suggests to me that they are infected. If you can't get to a vet, maybe try Pen-G? It is a penicillin that you can get from a Vet Supply or maybe a feed store. It works well on infected wounds, but not sure if it work on gangrene as well. I'd give about a a 1/4 cc in the breast muscle for 4 days. If you treat the infection, her feet won't come back, but she won't die from a systemic infection. She may lose her feet and need custom booties to protect her nubs. She obviously won't be jumping into nest boxes and onto roosts either. Nonetheless, don't give up hope! [​IMG]

edited to add: I just now saw the pics since I was typing as you posted it. She definitely needs antibiotics! Her right foot looks better than her left. I wonder what caused it! [​IMG]

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no---it is NOT misery for (most) chickens if they lose their feet! See the pics of my "Charlie the House Chicken." He is a very happy bird and extremely spoiled since the loss of his feet and lower legs 2 winters ago! If you are willing to keep the bird away from other chickens, penned separately and let them come inside for the winter if it gets frozen in your area; then you will have a very nice pet! This being a young bird I do not know if it can survive the trauma of frostbite...but you can certainly give it the chance! Terri O and Charlie

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
  9. popcornpuppy

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I agree that odor=infection and I should try to get some antibiotics.
    No avain vets in my area though. So I may have to try the feed and grain store.

I'm still not quite convinced it's frostbite. The fact that there is no swelling is what is most puzzling to me. Does any one have frostbite pics of chicken feet? The pics I saw on a Google search all showed swelling.

The other thing is that she was fine in the coop up until she had the choking episode, and we noticed the problem after she came into the house. We did daily checks of her health (and her brothers) while she was outside and she was fine. She did not act chilled or cold, was eating and drinking well and seemed to be adjusting to life outside of the brooder. [​IMG]

I'm stummped as to the cause of this.

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    You can get pennacilin at tractor supply, or a farm/garden store that carries farm animal products. I agree, could very well be gang green, in which case, she is going to need some serious antibiotics. If the infection gets to her blood... Also, pennacilin cannot go into the bloodstream, so make sure to pull the plunger back to double check you didn't happen to hit a vein [​IMG] good luck to both of you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by