1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet? Cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by purplekoolaid, Sep 28, 2015.

1. purplekoolaid

purplekoolaid New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    I'm sorry for the terrible picture but any thoughts on whether this is a pullet or cockerel? It's at the local animal shelter. There's also a black sex link hen but since they were brought in on different days I'm not sure if they were from the same flock/owner or not but I'm going later today to see in person. The 2 hens we currently have were given to us when they were about a year old so we kind of skipped the baby stage! Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

2. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I lean toward cockerel, but it's not a good picture at all. I can't see the comb very well, and don't know how old. I see a lot of red in the face, and what MIGHT be feathers that indicate cockerel near tail, but hard to tell. I'd snap some better shots while there unless you figure it out before you decide whether or not to get him/her.

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Cockerel

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Cockerel.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x4 (cockerel)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Porter herd bull for my Yaks Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    cockerel and looks a lot like the dark Cornish ones I had. A little slow to grow out but a nice sized table bird, if you want to go that way.

7. purplekoolaid

purplekoolaid New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Thank you for your replies! My first thought was cockerel as well but I'm still a fairly new chicken mom so I needed some seasoned opinions! :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by